Tamiya 56004 King Tiger help

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
qatmix
Recruit

Tamiya 56004 King Tiger help

Post by qatmix »

Whilst waiting for some cosmetic parts for the Leopard A4 to arrive, I also picked up another old tank. This time a King Tiger (These Tanks are addictive). It is the original one with the clutch system.

I powered it up today and noticed a few issues.

One of the nylon / steel bevel gears has sawtoothed. - When I go forward the right hand side skips as the bevel on the gear (Attached photo) has worn funny, so it trys to lift itself out. When the tank goes in reverse it is fine (As the saw-tooth on the bevel is only one direction). I also have noticed that the post it rotates on is also loose, I assume it became lose at some point and then the gear moved and it started to wear funny. Is there anywhere / anyone that might have a spare for sale?

The second issue is that the clutch does not seem to work, moving the arm to the left and the right does not stop the track. It does however slow the whole tank down.I have never taken one of these apart and I cannot find any photos / manuals that cover their construction so am a little pensive to try. The gears all look good, I find it very strange that the right and left movement slows down both tracks. Any tips?

Third issue Is that the front sprocket wheel is coming loose. I know it is attached to the axle via a screw, but I cannot get to it as the screw is covered up under a glued in place wheel cap. (As per the instructions). How can I remove that without damaging the small gear cap?
Attachments
Better photo of the bevel that has worn in one direction
Better photo of the bevel that has worn in one direction
IMG_3459.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Rear bar is loose
Rear bar is loose
IMG_3454.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
These are the gears that slip when going forward
These are the gears that slip when going forward
IMG_3460.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 56004 King Tiger help

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
the best solution is replace this crappy Gearbox/Transmission.
Look at Forgebears site for new ones.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Quality information on all things Mechanical concerning Tamiya flow like good wine from our own Tom Hugill :thumbup:
If a fix is available I feel sure that Tom will show you the way.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Does the old Tamiya KT not have a 2 part final drive spindle , if you can remove the tracks the sprocket attached to a short brass tube with a grub screw may slide off the gearbox. That grub screw comes loose. :(
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,
To advoid this:
1: or replace screw with a new one
2:make a flat on the Saft tightenning place and thread lock
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/fr/fr/ ... jcQAvD_BwE

Return to “Tamiya Builds”