Tamiya Leopard 1 A4 Build and Restoration

qatmix
Recruit

Tamiya Leopard 1 A4 Build and Restoration

Post by qatmix »

Hi All,

I am new to Tanks and have recently picked up this Tamiya 1 A4 Leopard. As you can see it has had a long and eventful life. The goal is to restore this Tank to run well, replace the missing parts / add some more. Then to hopefully update it with a working turret and maybe more.

Along the way I will probably need to make some 3D printed parts to maybe make the tank run a bit better.

qatmix
Recruit

Re: Tamiya Leopard 1 A4 Build and Restoration

Post by qatmix »

First up I have cleaned the tank internals and ensured that the gears have nothing stuck between the teeth. I do intend to remove the gearbox completely, but at the moment I an not clear on how to remove the main drive sprocket to help remove the gearbox. I think the end cap is glued on.

The chassis had no inner return rollers, so I drew up a return roller. However instead of it just rotating on the wheel, I designed it so that a 630 bearing would fit inside so that they would have less rolling resistance. They are then held on with a simple 3mm bolt.

I also made a replacement H15 inner mount as there was one missing.

I still an missing an outer return roller, the issue I have is the inner fitting, as these do not use 3mm screws to be held on like the inner ones.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Nice work with the 3D printing of hard to get parts. I should do more of this myself - need to find time to edumacate myself on 3D design.
qatmix
Recruit

Post by qatmix »

If you want the wheel files I can send them to you.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Sadly I don't have a Leopard 1, but I do have a 3D printer than doesn't get used as much as it should.
dutchy
Recruit

Post by dutchy »

Return to “Modern Builds”