Tiger at Kharkov

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Tiger at Kharkov

Post by Jimster »

Absolutely beautiful display of high quality parts! We should produce an RC Tank wall calendar and make that one of the pictures. :thumbup:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Jimster wrote:Absolutely beautiful display of high quality parts! We should produce an RC Tank wall calendar and make that one of the pictures. :thumbup:
Haha, great idea :clap:

Now that you are part of the decision making party, you could maybe just make this idea working?

Btw, got the Schumo supports for the idler arms. Why didnt Tamiya come up with such an idea? :wtf:
Easy, but very effective little pieces. Thanks Ad Lav for this great suggestion :wave:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome :)
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I don’t really do German tanks but I will be watching this, and picking you brain for inspiration on a Russian captured early version.

Was going to do 131 but it’s to well known with rivet counters so a humble Russian captured will be a fresh approach rather than yet another 131
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The build is coming along. Front fenders are finished. So next I wanted to do the main plastic parts. So at least you have a standing and running „factory“ Tiger. I found that the sprockets hub caps took two of my magnets, a very tight press fit and the caps hold up nicely. No need for aftermarket parts. Speaking of aftermarket I went with Schumo barrel, just the usual turned Aluminium barrel. Drilled out to take the flash cable and otherwise ready to be mounted. For the muzzle brake I got the Schumo resin part. Much better detail than the Tamiya piece, but as it is two haves not exactly as nice or crisp as the Aber brass. But two advantages. It is a lot cheaper and much lighter. Primed it grey from the inside and then glued and seem filled with CA. After priming the seem has to be carefully sanded.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looking great! I always look forward to seeing an update post from you on this project.
Trora
Corporal

Post by Trora »

Have fun with photo etch parts , love them :)

Looking forward to your build , is he become a LSSAH Tiger S20 ?

Good and lucky hand with your build

Regards Ralf
Would like to go home
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there, thank you for the comments and interest.

@ Trora, I plan to do it a "Grossdeutschland" tank.

Tried to let it run just now and identified a problem. The sprocket on the right side is too close to the hull, rubbing on the first swing arm. Changed the sproeckets between sides, still the same problem. Then identified the gearbox shaft is sticking out not as much as on the left side. Both shafts have the same length. Cant see why this is happening.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Oh no! Time for a DKLM PDSGB. Get the “slow” version. I’m kind of just kidding.
So many things to check including your drive sprockets depth. Maybe need to somehow add a shim to the short side in order to bring it outboard a bit.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hm, I tried a bit of flexing and it looks like the right gearbox flexes inwards a bit more that the left gearbox. By flexing it to the outside it woudl have just enough clearance. The DKLM gearbox would of course solve this problem, but that would also need another set of electronics. ATM everything else works fine, Sounds, turret rotation. The recoil is exceptionally nice. :thumbup:

I am gonna Try the DKLM gearbox brace for now.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”