Desert kubelwagen, static to rc build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Desert kubelwagen, static to rc build.

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Morning all,

A few pics of a build that I've been working on for the last couple of days, it was a static 1/16 tamiya kubelwagen kit which I've had in the stash for a while but I decided to give it the rc treatment. I've converted it once again using parts from the wpl line of vehicles and it's powered by a small 30amp esc and 2s lipo. Next stage is on to the painting :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Desert kubelwagen static to rc build.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Looks very nice. Any chance of some photos of the working parts? Are the wheels and balloon tyres from the kit? I would fancy having a go at one and testing my abilities.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you Richard, pretty simple conversion really. I cut the front and rear wpl axles down to the required width and modified the wpl motor/gear unit which now sits under the rear seat and can hardly be noticed, a bit of stowage would completely disguise it though. The esc and receiver are hidden in the trunk where the motor would sit and access is through the top panel which is removable and can also house a small lipo. I used a small servo which easily fits under the hood and connects down to the axle for the steering. The balloon tyres are the originals from the kit but the wheels are 3D printed as they hold the tyres on better, hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImage

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

This is a little clip of the first chassis test before everything was fitted properly :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.

phpBB [video]
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Desert kubelwagen, static to rc build.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Thanks Lee. That all looks a very neat installation, something that I might even be capable of. I shall put it on my list!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

An elegant, and apparently simple RC solution, Lee! :thumbup: (Note the stress on 'apparently' :D ). I might even be tempted myself as, up to now, I've never owned a wheeled RC vehicle.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Very nice job Lee,
I have avoided the conversion so far because I considered the floor pan too flimsy and instead I have been looking for an r/c chassis that I could fit the body too (By the way when are the dealers advertising Trucks and Cars going to include the wheel centre front to rear measurements as well as the overall width?) BUT this build changes my thinking,
Looks like I shall have to blow the dust off my Tamiya Desert VW box of parts and think again :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

The conversion is pretty straightforward Roy even for a plastic butcher like me :haha: I'm up to 13 vehicles now besides the tanks so I've had a bit of practice ( edit, it's 15 now, I just counted them ) :/ :D if you need any more info on the build please ask and I'll help where i can. It took me about 2 days on and off from box to build :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you Jarndice :D I found while just testing the chassis before the bodywork was fitted to the floor pan that it was pretty rigid even after the cutting with not too much flex. I made sure that everything I installed was going to work properly before gluing the two main side panels and rear panel to the floor pan, this made it even stronger with no flex at all ( it is a very light little vehicle ) I found then that the bonnet/hood section did not need to be glued down as it just clips in between the 2 side panels snugly which will let me remove it if I need access to the steering servo. The rear seat is also removable so I can get to the motor unit also if required. The motor is barely visible under the seat but as mine is going to have a roof you can't see it anyway. I'm sure you'll make a grand job of yours Jarndice and if you need any more info on what I did please ask away :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Put a splash of paint on the kubel, going to give it a worn desert weathered effect next and finish it with a wash, I need to get the driver painted also :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImageImage

Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”