Tamiya Tiger 1 refresh

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Tamiya Tiger 1 refresh

Post by Markocaster »

Hello all , it’s been a while since I have posted anything. So since I’m stuck here at home like everyone else, I have been redoing my tiger 1. I have had it about 5 yrs and am the 3rd owner. It was just basic grey and pretty well used when I got it. Image
It’s a full option model with the battle system. I decided to go for a yellow 502 Panzer div look with light to moderate wear. Image
I have been hard at work adding the details and got a basic first coat down. I am trying to do a little modulation but the airbrush is not my friend yet Image so it’s slow going. But I am improving, it’s also my first real attempt at weathering I am just starting that phase just going slow and experimenting.
I got some of the front wheels that are missing the outer road wheel from Sassgrunt (thanks a million Mike) and began experimenting with weathering them also
So I think a little more airbrush work and then as weathering supplies arrive I am gonna get a little grimy.
So this is where I am now. Feel free to let me know if I have missed any obvious details and if you have any thought or tips on weathering I would love to hear them. I am reading and watching YouTube videos on the subject.
Hope all are well. Cheers Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya Tiger 1 refresh

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: You've put a Tiger in your tank (as per old ESSO advert). It's good to see the renaissance of another Tammy Tiger. The vast majority of Tigers didn't have the dowdy dark grey (Dunklegrau) finish at regiment level that many Tigers (HL etc.,) are presented in. :think:
Notwithstanding historical camo considerations, from an aesthetic point of view, they look much more alluring, I think, in desert colours (especially with subtle bits of shading), or in the later tri-tone camo. :thumbup:
Nice work, so far- and once again, a little applause is merited for our modest, but ever helpful Hawaiian donor (Mike). :clap:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Tamiya Tiger 1 refresh

Post by Markocaster »

Jofaur86 thanks for the videos, I shall give them a look. I am excited to weather the tank but also concerned of mucking it up too

43rd , I agree with you they look better in the yellow than grey , I wish I had Maxmekker’s painting skills, but I am enjoying the process so far. Hope all is well in Scotland
More photos as I make more progress.
Cheers Mark

Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Tamiya Tiger 1 refresh

Post by Markocaster »

A little more progress, have begun weathering, using washes, filters and pigments for the first time. Going slow and taking my time.

Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's coming along nicely :thumbup: Now, it has a certain 'lived in ' look, thanks to the subtle tweaks with shading, and weld lines. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
dougan1963
Recruit

Post by dougan1963 »

Love your weld lines, I presume they are not original?
If not, how did you do them, sorry, I'm new here!!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

dougan1963 wrote:Love your weld lines, I presume they are not original?
If not, how did you do them, sorry, I'm new here!!
Thanks :) the weld lines were added with Miliput. Welcome to the forum

Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That’s very true about the gray color. Apparently only 12 out of 1,347 or so Tigers were actually painted gray. I happen to model one of them.
I’m so surprised at how many Tiger RC models come from the factory in gray. Why?

Return to “Tamiya Builds”