Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hmmm, shall I tell this story, oh well, why not.
I Have a habit of always keeping my phone on vibrate, and when out, have my phone in my jeans front pocket, but I don't always hear it. I have done a big shop many times with a neighbour, we go in either car.
Anyway, when out, I'm always being told that someone is trying to contact me.
And one day, my neighbour said, "aren't you going to answer that, it's the third time they've called you," so, I checked my phone, and there was no messages or missed calls, then it hit me, and I was nearly choking, but not because of what I'd done, but from laughing so hard about it, and when I could compose myself with tears running down my face and lots of people staring at me, I confessed that I was a Fartriloquist, obviously I didn't say your new word, but admitted to what I'd been (what I though, sneakily) doing for a while.
I approve of your new word Roy :thumbup:

And then there's this legend.
The French Fartist who Headlined at the Moulin Rouge
https://www.messynessychic.com/2016/05/ ... lin-rouge/
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hmmm, shall I tell this story, oh well, why not.
I Have a habit of always keeping my phone on vibrate, and when out, have my phone in my jeans front pocket, but I don't always hear it. I have done a big shop many times with a neighbour, we go in either car.
Anyway, when out, I'm always being told that someone is trying to contact me.
And one day, my neighbour said, "aren't you going to answer that, it's the third time they've called you," so, I checked my phone, and there was no messages or missed calls, then it hit me, and I was nearly choking, but not because of what I'd done, but from laughing so hard about it, and when I could compose myself with tears running down my face and lots of people staring at me, I confessed that I was a Fartriloquist, obviously I didn't say your new word, but admitted to what I'd been (what I though, sneakily) doing for a while.
I approve of your new word Roy :thumbup:

And then there's this legend.
The French Fartist who Headlined at the Moulin Rouge
https://www.messynessychic.com/2016/05/ ... lin-rouge/
:haha: Glad you like it. In these fraught times, nothing beats a good belly laugh to stimulate the immune system. Years ago, I had a video of Leonard Rossiter as 'Le Petomane'-- the real historical character whom you alluded to, who- (his quote:) "Farted for the crowned heads of Europe'. Also, as you know-despite my Highland roots, I take an interest in the origins of English (also lowland 'Scots'- now an official language in it's own right, and not to be confused with Gaelic, spoken in the Islands mostly, and In Ireland- in an earlier form).
Anyway, In English we 'Fart', but the Germans 'Furz'. Both imitative words, but Fart sounds bold- and Furz more 'silent and deadly'. :lolno:
Since the Beeb allows the word to be used, I figured any kids reading this wouldn't take umbrage. Indeed, they'd probably be tittering behind hands. :shh: I watched the Rossiter film with my good friend, the (now retired) German policeman, from Hamburg. We both had tears rolling down our faces. :D I can only imagine it was the same in Neanderthal caves, after a large meal of Bison :haha:
Returning, obliquely to the Jagdpanther theme, I rather prefer the German 'Auspuff' to the British 'Exhaust'. 'Smokepipe' might have been better a better, more Anlglo-Saxon word :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Good morning Roy.
I've never seen that film, but I knew about the chap at 12 or 13 when I read an article in an older brothers glossy magazine.
It greatly amused me, especially reading about him going into the sea, filling up his nether region with sea water, and basically dumping the contents on his friends on the beach, I guess that beats trying to sneak a bucket full of water up the beach.
Did they show such antics in the film?

I forgot to mention, once I confessed to my phone impression, my neighbour then almost collapsed with laughter.
I must confess, I've never enjoyed shopping so much as when I did my weekly shop with them, we were always clowning about, and we ended up making many friends from various shops staff, it was good to make them laugh along with us :thumbup:

So, when is this thread going back on topic, there's hardly been a mention of plate spinning :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Plate spinning is the tendency to hop from one plate to another, to keep them going, Mick. I suppose another phrase would be 'Too many irons in the fire'. Smithies aside, I think it's probably better to concentrate on one project- like the JP, for instance, than to dilute one's drive and energy by hopping from one model to another (The Comet, the Cromwell, Tauchpanzer- even the Firefly). That's the theory, anyway. In practice, I have find I have the annoying habit of
'plate spinning' from one to another. :/
For once, though, I shall try to get beyond the 95% complete status (Comet), or even the 99% complete Cromwell, and actually finish this Jagdpanther. That means, of course, finish for now
That doesn't preclude returning to the model in future with, say, Schumo, or Aber add ons (doing an 'Ad Lav'!).... :shh:
Believe it or not, though, the evil builder demon at my shoulder, is already whispering " Build a Churchill!" In my ears. :eh: 8O
In part, however, that's because after Jan, it could well cost a lot more to buy from sources in the EU.. Mind you, after Jan, with Covid around, some of us might be building models from hospital beds... :eh:
:think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There's another reason, I think, why anyone wanting a Tamiya tank, or is thinking of upgrading a static model, ought to get on with it pretty sharpish. Parts are not only hard to come by, it seems many have now been discontinued. Indeed, Tamiya seems to be phasing out some of its WW2 classics.
I had a quick look at Tamiya USA the other day (a major outlet for Tamiya) and found that for the Panther, and Jagdpanther the following bits have been discontinued:
-The metal lower hull 8O (Fairly crucial in a build, you'll have to admit)
-Idler wheel A
-Tyres J1 and J2
-Metal bearing bag
-Turret roller bag
-Decal bag (not such a big deal)
'D' Parts (essential sprue)
-'F" parts, also an essential sprue.
A quick glance at the Pz IV was similarly gloomy, as with other WW2 offerings- even the venerable Tiger 1. What's more, the recommended retail price of some models was in excess of $2,000 :O Hmm..that's not many bangs for your bucks.
Anyone currently sitting on a pile of spare Tamiya parts (no, don't crush them!... :lolno: ), could have a good investment there. Still, we don't have that bread-head mentality here, do we? :lolno:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Would say don't bother , if you want a nice German tank buy the 1/16 TRUMPETER kits . They are modern moulds not 70/80ies basic ones. Add some plastic/ styrene inside hull and turret for strength a Taigen hull some servos and a board . The level of detail is all there, no need for all the add ons. The kit has lots of extras metal cables, PE stuff side skirts,track hangers etc.
Check the cable cutters the tips taper down to a point.Today the moulding is perfect.
Check the cable cutters the tips taper down to a point.Today the moulding is perfect.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Ronnie. Yes, the Trumpeter model has a few details that are absent from Tamiya's Panther Ausf G.

A few things to note, however:
- Trumpeter don't make a Jagdpanther in 1/16 scale.
- Their models are static only, and modifying them for RC use is pretty much like scratchbuilding, inasmuch as there are no internal mounting points (lugs, studs,captive nuts etc) for elevation, rotation, and recoil units- and it's a pain having to fabricate them :problem: At least the static Tamiya Jagdpanther has all the neccessary mounting points, screw holes etc., needed for conversion to RC. :) The same applies to other static models still available from them. The downside is, sadly, that they are becoming a real rarity. :thumbdown:
For anyone interested in Trumpeter's static models in 1/16- here's a link:
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... d=169&l=en
-Stiffening up the chassis could also be a real pain, as fitting a drive train and running gear, would also be to get the model running. Unless, that is, it's just a case of using the detailed upper hull on top of a Taigen or Heng Long lower. Even so, the niggling problems with fitting th upper electronic units, or even servos would remain- not to mention the additional cost. :|
- Trumpeter 1/16 kits aren't exactly cheap. In fact, you can get a reasonabe RTR Taigen of V6.0 HL model for the price- almost- of most 1/16 scle Trumpeter models.

Examples of details present on Ronnie's Trumpeter Panther G, and the real thing, that are absent of Tamiya's Ausf G, and Jagdpanther:

I shall have to make these lugs or tool retainers for my JP toolrack. No big deal, in fact.
The real deal:
You can see they're not included with the Tamiya tool rack, nor are the small pins that help to retain the 'C' brackets that sit below the tow cable holder.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

It may be a bit late but you could remove the tool rack altogether and mount the tools individually on the engine deck and rear. Tool racks were a G1 feature that was removed on later production models.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:It may be a bit late but you could remove the tool rack altogether and mount the tools individually on the engine deck and rear. Tool racks were a G1 feature that was removed on later production models.
Too late... :D

As a concession to those would almost habitually add Schumo, and Aber extras- I thought I'd at least get some decent tow cables, C-hooks, and bits to improve the existing tool racks, and cable holders. Thus, I've ordered these from Axels:
If I don't use the deck hooks on the JP, I can always use them on the Tamiya Panther shell I still have.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:) The Schumo parts arrived yesterday from Axels, in Germany. That's pretty quick service, considering. :thumbup: Great service, as usual, in a time of pandemic and restrictions. :clap:
The Jagdpanther steel cables (two are supplied) have to be assembled. What I did was to clamp the cable around the horseshoe-shaped metal stiffener (not sure what the horseshoe shaped eyelet is actually called :) ), and put a drop or two of clear guperglue to hold it in place. This was after ensuring that there was a sufficient amount of inward bound cable, for both bits of the cable loop to be bonded inside the sheathed metal retainer. (Again, that's my own term)
Then I packed some JB Weld metal epoxy into the sheath, and pushed the loop into it as far as I could. It looks okay, I think. Now I need make three more loops. All the meatl parts with be treated with metal etching primer, and painted before being fitted to the JP.

When all these bits are added, the JP will be finished.
At a much later date, who knows, I might be tempted to add some side skirts. But I'm trying to resist that option. ;) Perma-projects can be a real pain...

Return to “Tamiya Builds”