Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Looking at the roof of the tamiya Jagdpanther, it certainly needs something to fill the spaces occupied by periscopes on the real machine.
WW2 Jagdpanther periscope
WW2 Jagdpanther periscope
This was the real deal.
Schumo have 3rd party options, but I was looking at these:
resin Jagdpanther periscopes
resin Jagdpanther periscopes
The Polyurethane ones are from http://www.rctank.de
and..these are from
http://www.mrmodellbau.com
As I've not had any dealings with mrmodellbau, and regard Dominique's rctank as a throroughly dependable source, I've ordered a set from rctank. :thumbup:
The object is to use a tint and Krystal Klear to simulate the lenses/mirrors in the periscopes. Tamiya's Abrams certainly has some good looking ones, so it would be doing the Jagdpanther a disservice not to
equip it with comparable peepers. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRecceReg,

That is one lovely JP. I really like the slight greenish tint to the color of the road wheels. Well done!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:43rdRecceReg,

That is one lovely JP. I really like the slight greenish tint to the color of the road wheels. Well done!

Cheers,
Eric.
Well, thank you kindly, Eric. :D
It's actually gray, to resemble urban road dust, but on a yellow background, I guess it could take on a more eco-friendly hue. ;)
Yes, it was a greenish sort of day. :D

It's easy to go OTT with 'wear and tear' effects, and especially with splattering stuff all over models- as if following a sort of Jackson Pollock ('jack the Dripper :lolno: ) artistic style.
However, I prefer moderation in camo terms.... if not all things.
Some say that 'moderation in all things' is a good mantra for living; but I would add: "Yes, except for excess'. :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO

Post by EAO »

43rdRecceReg,

I probably should get an eye exam, I'm actually overdue. My Wife and I argue about colors all the time. I'd swear that's a washed out panzer yellow with a hint of green to it. It's either my eyes or your beautiful, verdant country side! Perhaps it's both! :think:

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Having looked at the periscope options, I used Micro Kristal Klear for the glass, backed with a gloss black with streaks of silver. The frames were painted with Rotbraun/SckokoBraun and Gelb to simulate the Bakelite look.
This is the full set produced by Schumo for the JPA.

Whilst i was at it, I discover this amazing 1/6 perisope on the Armortek website :O
:Image

It's a pic of the Panther periscope.
https://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/view ... =10&t=1114

All I have to do now, is cut the scopes out careful, and fill them in to the Tamiya's upper hull. Then, it's job done. Until, that is, some obsessive urge mainfests itself demanding extra detail... :problem: :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

1/16th scale you say? Those look amazing .
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Soeren wrote:1/16th scale you say? Those look amazing .
;) :D Thanks, Soeren. Yes, of course, it should have read: 1:6 Just a typo.
Anything that detailed in 1/16 would be beyond the miraculous. :O
That said, I have actually seen some details in 1/35 scale that defy belief.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I finally finished the periscopes and fitted them. Although it's hard to avoid a sort of meniscus effect, when creating a flat glass surface with Micro Krystal Klear- I'm happy with the outcome. In certain lights, it looks like glass, and that's way better than having a plat painted surface, or no surface at all, as would be the case with just the kit provided by Tamiya. My standards are not as exacting as some of the build-maestros we goggle at, here on RCTW, but if I achieve a credible look at first sight, from a metre or two (or equivalent from the screen)- I'm a happy man. :) Life's too short to be stitched together with rivets. :D
Looking at the pics reminds me that i need to fit an aerial at the back pf the casemate. Apart from that- I'm adding nothing more. :D (famous- and familiar last words)
Oh, yes, here's my Spitfire Mk Vb on the stocks. I got this kit with a view to practising painting really fine details. In turn, any new techniques picked up from it should help with finer details on my tracked beasties.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

You’re modeling is spot on and stands among the best. I love the glass effect and I think I’ll get some of that stuff for future uses.
Love the Spitfire.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very subtle, just how I like them. Great work :)

Return to “Tamiya Builds”