Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by Ad Lav »

Breaks up the lines well!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Awesome tank but the beautiful sunlit backyard steals the show for me. You are blessed.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Breaks up the lines well!
Thanks, Adam. Yes, It could easily hide in a pyjama shop- or even in a Blackpool rock shop. :lolno:

and here, for non-Brits, is a pic of some Blackpool rock:
I was so tempted to put the green stripes in as well, Adam- but there's something about the simple (but stark) contrast, in the existing stripes, I really like. Cleaned up, with moderate weathering, washes and insignia, it should look pretty good- and just a tad individual- as many of the later ones were. :)
There's still quite a lot to do. First, will be the spare tracks...red and yellow look a hippy -like on them :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Awesome tank but the beautiful sunlit backyard steals the show for me. You are blessed.
It's actually the front yard, Jim (although the back one also has much to commend it!)- but yes, blessed indeed. My neighbour has an even better view, and a wee lochan (small loch- or large pond) on his property to boot. It would be ideal for one of Tom's U-Boats... o- ah, but then the local ducks might feel that their rights had been infringed. Aye, and a periscope up a duck derrier might be a real challenge for the local Vet. :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

For anyone wondering about the Tamiya 1945 Jagdpanther camo pattern I referred to, here it is:

You can see that the dominant colour, overall, is Dunkelgrün. However, in any event, it would have been a variant of Olivgrün most likely, by March, 1945. Then again, it could almost have been anything,
given that time and paint were running out. :think:
I've omitted Green altogether, and made Late Dunkelgelb (Dark yellow- RAL 7028) the dominant base colour instead. That's partly because the fighting would have been pretty much urban by March, and Forest-themed colours wouldn't have been as appropriate as they were earlier in the Ardennes (dec- '44- Jan '45). That's my reasoning, anyway. :D
I'm favouring this sort of tonal interpretation (REME '45/'46 painted Panther, at Bovington)
Image but with yellow dominant.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ps...Can anyone suggest the best colour and variant colours to get the spare tracks right? It looks like a combination of matt blacks, greys, and metal is needed. :)
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

If you're interested in reading about G2 Jagdpanthers I recommend this blog: https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/42756/flat
It really goes into the fine details about the differences in variants and there is some good info on color schemes towards the end.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote:ps...Can anyone suggest the best colour and variant colours to get the spare tracks right? It looks like a combination of matt blacks, greys, and metal is needed. :)
I believe the Games Workshop guys use in this order, Chaos Black, Mithril Silver, dark grey/black wash.
Or a rust colour wash depending on how you want it to look.

Or, alternatively, watch this :thumbup:

Watch "Paint Effect that Transforms Plastic into Steel | LOTR Ringwraith Armor (Pattern Available)" on YouTube
phpBB [video]
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:If you're interested in reading about G2 Jagdpanthers I recommend this blog: https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/42756/flat
It really goes into the fine details about the differences in variants and there is some good info on color schemes towards the end.
Thanks a lot for that link. It's a fascinating and very impressive piece. :thumbup: As for the detailing on the superb (1:35) Meng kit goes, well, that takes years of sheer devotion, practice, and determination. I might add, a smidgen of the obsessive too. :D I'm inclined to think that such maestros must either lead a monastic existence, or have a very tolerant (and rarely seen) partners. :)
For me- and I think for many others- RC models need to be a compromise between Museum-grade detailing, and sheer robust practicality. I'm looking for something that passes a cursory inspection (non-geekproof), but can go out on rough Highland terrain without leaving a trail of expensive Aber, and other bespoke bits, in its wake. :D
I didn't know that Tamiya based it's G2 measurements on Bovington's G2, not that there were observable differences between the G1 and G2 variants. So, that was all very interesting. Where I've put a lot of research and thought into building the Comet and Cromwell in 1/16, I'll confess to doing 'just about enough' with other models. There's simply not enough time for the other 18 tanks and projects I have demanding (and not getting) attention. :problem: :D Louis (Imcq11) seems to manage it- but I can't. Interstingly, the contributor seems to go for a sort of gunmetal grey base for tracks (with any number of subtle overlays). Trouble is, there are just not enough WW2 colour photos of Jagdpanthers, and other vehicles to know what they really looked like. In any event, the light on one day can vary according to the time of the day, and the season- not to mention the film stock and camera used. :eh: So....it a case of approximation and- unless it is a Museum commission- what pleases the eye.
Meantime, I'm drawing a little inspiration from the Weald Foundation Jp.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:ps...Can anyone suggest the best colour and variant colours to get the spare tracks right? It looks like a combination of matt blacks, greys, and metal is needed. :)
I believe the Games Workshop guys use in this order, Chaos Black, Mithril Silver, dark grey/black wash.
Or a rust colour wash depending on how you want it to look.

Or, alternatively, watch this :thumbup:

Watch "Paint Effect that Transforms Plastic into Steel | LOTR Ringwraith Armor (Pattern Available)" on YouTube
phpBB [video]
Some food for thought there, Mick- thanks!

Return to “Tamiya Builds”