Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
pitstain
Corporal

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by pitstain »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
pitstain wrote:etoarmor.com still has one or two of Daryl Turner's metal jagdpanther trunion kits in stock from the last run, it's supposed to be the bee's knees for solving the issues on the Jagd
Yes, I think that was the unit starring in Sevoblast's Jadgpanther upgrade:
Daryl's Gun trunnion.jpg
I think that Adam (Ad Lav) also used this top-notch component in his highly desirable Jagdpanther upgrade. :thumbup:
Yup, that is the same one I installed in my Jagdpanther build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Given the global economic crisis, on top of the microbial menace, I've decided to use my Tamiya Panther as a donor for my Jagdpather-static model to Jagdpanther, full-option project.
The big stumbling block, so far, has been my inability to find Panther/Jagdpanther gearboxes for the project. It's not even possible to order them currently. Also, given that the Jagdpanther full-option model was discontinued last year, Tamiya have a reduced incentive to provide spares for it. :think: Even if they were available, they're more expensive than any other boxes. That's well over £200 for a pair.
I could go down the ETO gearbox route, but again, they're not cheap. Ultimately, I will buy them and fit them to the Panther. Not for some time, though.
If only Tamiya did spare driveshafts. Boxes for other models are cheaper, and all it takes is to swap the driveshafts out.
Tamiya Tiger 1 and Panther boxes compared
Tamiya Tiger 1 and Panther boxes compared
In all respects, these two boxes, one for the Tiger 1, and the other for the Panther/Jagdpanther, are identical- except that the Panther shaft is roughly 4mm longer than the Tiger's. That's measuring from the edge of the gearbox frame to the end of the shaft. The Panther/Jagdpanther projects by 29mm, and the Tiger by 25mm. The Sherman protrudes by around 24 mm.
Tiger 1 25mm protrusion
Sherman 24mm protrusion
The point is, these could be donor boxes if the driveshafts were swapped out. Annoyingly, it only takes a minute or two to remove and replace them. All the shafts have a diameter of around 7.96mm-8.00mm. call 'em 8mm. Anyone with a lathe could machine some collets or spacers to bring these up to the 29mm needed for the Panther. With machined flats, and longer retaining screws the sprockets should still be locked to the drive units. Just a thought... :think:
I thought I'd include a pic of the Standoffs used on the Tiger and Panther. The height of the standoff does vary slightly from model to model, but this can be overcome quite easily.
Panther and Tiger 1  standoffs compared
Panther and Tiger 1 standoffs compared
The Tiger 1 standoffs are black. They're around 9mm high, but the washer makes them almost 10mm.
Here's the Jagdpanther with the donor boxes in place. It's a good idea to apply any grease to the shafts before fitting the boxes.
Tamiya transplanted drive units-Panther to Jgadpanther
Tamiya transplanted drive units-Panther to Jgadpanther
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now it's time for the DMD units. I was lucky to get the MF-04 unit (Jagdpanther only) as a special offer from Axel's Modellbau. :thumbup: Cheap Tamiya products are as rare as rocking horse 'sh*t!
MF-04 unit in place
MF-04 unit in place
This should govern the features unique to a turretless tank-destroyer.
Then, the drive ESC (T-03, also fitted to several other models), sits atop the Multifunction unit (MF-04), and is fixed in place- like the MF-04, by double-sided tape, along with the Futuba receiver.
One unusual feature of this model, is that it uses two standard elevation units to manage elevation and (limited) traverse, instead of the usual elevation and rotation units.
Jagdpanther hull wiring
Jagdpanther hull wiring
. Fitting these units can be surprisingly tricky, and demands great expletive control, as well as ultra nimble fingers @)
The return spring for the elevation unit is a nightmare. It's easy to see, sometimes, why Tamiya want other people to assemble these things (we, the masochistic model-makers), rather than have workers with uncontrolled fits of rage on the factory floor. :lolno:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Super sharp photos and clean wiring.
What’s this business about greasing shafts before fitting into boxes!? This IS a family friendly forum.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is really a quicky build, as there are already a few detailed Jagdpanther builds out there (Pitstain's admirable Youtube-based build being the latest).
Here's a pc of the annoying elevation unit spring:
Jagdpanther elevation return spring
Jagdpanther elevation return spring
I still have to get a spring for the other unit, that manages the traverse return. For the moment, the linkage can cope with movement fairly well, without needing a damper.
Next, I removed the Panther's flash unit, and fitted it in the JP. Nothing to have a nervous breakdown about there- unless it doesn't work. These units are very expensive. :think:
I use some nifty self-adhesive (3M) clips to retain the wires and cables. You'll see two different types in use here.
JP Casemate wiring-Flash unit and cable clips
JP Casemate wiring-Flash unit and cable clips

Then there's the hull machine gun. These are the main components:
Hull Machine Gun components
Hull Machine Gun components
Tamiya recommends using synthetic rubber glue for parts like these, without actually recommending one. I've used other types before, but recently, I found this one to be excellent:
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive
Fevibond synthetic rubber adhesive
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Putting it all together, I ran the motors, and checked all the functions. Then it was time to fire the cannon for the first time (not that easy to record- and- note to self, must create a video channel some day)
Firing the cannon for the first time
Firing the cannon for the first time
The static kit gives the choice of two exhaust systems. I can't recall whether the Panther full-option kit does. In any event, I decided to use the basic one that's not on my Panther:
One of these days, I'll make a proper job of painting the Panther. In this pic, it's covered in dust (just like me, a lot of the time, and like Dicken's 'Miss Haversham', cobwebs and all... :D :lolno: ).
Now I have a better spray gun, and better weather to do a spot of daubing. For this reason, the JP has a simple coat of primer and Dunkelgelb, at the moment. That's also why I've not added the tools and other accessories.
So...the Jagdpanther is now a runner!! Yippee. Static- to runner. Job done,...well, this bit. anyway :lolno:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Don't mind me, I'm here for the plate spinning, but there seems to be a distinct lack of it :(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Beautiful job. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Got to love a Jagdpanther :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Super sharp photos and clean wiring.
What’s this business about greasing shafts before fitting into boxes!? This IS a family friendly forum.
Suitably admonished... :{ :haha: :haha: It's a good thing that this isn't a plumbing forum, as the floating cistern water regulating valve, in the toilet suite, is called a ballcock here :shh: Plumbing itself has so many double entendre possibilities :D

Return to “Tamiya Builds”