Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Don't mind me, I'm here for the plate spinning, but there seems to be a distinct lack of it :(
:D Hmm..well that would be the seemingly endless, and competing, list of chores that divorcees like me have to attend to behind the scenes, Mick. :| :D My part-time other half is stuck 600 miles away.
:|
When are we going to see one of your 42 Shermans (and counting!) being put through its paces; or having a monumental facelift? All those amazing bits you've accumulated, must just about make your pad resemble
Steptoe and Son's place. Let's see some Sherman action :thumbup: Yeah.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Got to love a Jagdpanther :)
..and you still miss yours. :) With what you added to it, so would I, Adam! Thanks :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

So true, so true. I’m almost 57 and still haven’t outgrown 7th grade locker room humor.
Back to your awesome thread, I wish I could simply stroll over to your house and pay you to manage the wiring in my Tiger. Some people seem to have a natural ability to create clean wiring in their tanks.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oooh er mista, bit o Sherman on Sherman action eh. . . .

Hopefully soon, my freedom got a bit of a turn, got the missus home full time, and my youngest daughter has decided to have a change of scenery and she missed her dog, you know, the great big eating and sh*tt*ng machine she left us with, I have to feed and pick up after, because it would have been unfair to leave him home alone all day at her place while she went to work. Bloody thing molts so much, that if he wasn't brushed every day, we'd have a new carpet everywhere every month. . . .

Anyway, I've not long acquired some shiny new Tamiya gearboxes along with many other bits and bobs, I just need to order a few more bits at the end of the month, and design a couple of bits I need printed, then I should be good to go :thumbup:

Anyways, I do like your Jag, it is rather good, even without any more plate spinning ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oh, and my "other half" should have been 4 to 5 thousand miles away :(
Instead I've got her here "supervising" all those jobs I should have been doing. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:So true, so true. I’m almost 57 and still haven’t outgrown 7th grade locker room humor.
Back to your awesome thread, I wish I could simply stroll over to your house and pay you to manage the wiring in my Tiger. Some people seem to have a natural ability to create clean wiring in their tanks.
Well, Jim (still a youngster to me), you have a wry sense of humour, and an appreciation of the rye, and you would, of course- like other forum members- be welcome to God's land: the Highlands of Scotland.
I don't do the astrological stuff, but my birth sign would condemn me to a lifetime of neatness, and order. I have fought against it ever since; but when it comes to wiring, bookshelves, what to trash and what to keep, Bach, learning McCartney's Penny Lane bass note for note, Samba pa Ti lead guitar, Brothers in Arms lead guitar...note for note, I'm a victim of the stars. :haha: .....Not!!
I'm not that keen on Yoko, either. But John really loved her...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’ll drink to that. Cheers!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
It is a beauty, Roy. Some weathering, detail paint and markings and it would need nothing else. No complex camo scheme need apply. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening,
It is a beauty, Roy. Some weathering, detail paint and markings and it would need nothing else. No complex camo scheme need apply. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Many thanks, Painless. :thumbup: I had considered putting Atak Zimmerit on the JP; but since the Tamiya model is the late type- and only models from Jan 1944 (when the JP was introduced) to September, 1944 had Zimmerit cladding- I may give that a miss.
I do prefer production line freshness, but with some hints of exposure to the elements. The Detailing you mentioned, does enhance the model's features, and rids it of the plastic model look.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Highland weather gods vouchsafed me a warm, calm morning- perfect for airbrushing, in fact. :thumbup: Living 100 metres from a tidal sea loch (fed by the Atlantic, no less), protracted onshore and offshore breezes are a daily determinant of my outdoor activities.
Anyway, I had a choice between starting the WW2 Finnish camo scheme on the Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J, or of giving the late Jagdpanther a more 'lived in' look. The JP currently has a coat of the ubiquitous Tamiya Dunkelgelb for the 'production line' look. However, I always intended to give it a more chronologically accurate camo coverage, before putting it on the Panzer 'Cat-walk'. ;)
I now have some more appropriate, and accurate, late war colours from MIG and AK interactive. Of the two, I like the AK most- especially their Rotbraun, which is much less red than the MIG product. AK paints can also be diluted/thinned with water, and dry to a good matt finish. What's more, they go nicely in the Harder and Steenbeck airbrush without thinner.
The paint scheme here is based on Tamiya's Tri-Tone Kompanie 3, sPzJgAbt 654, Western Front, 1945. However, I've omitted the Dark Green (Dunkelgrün) stripes. Paint was very scarce towards the very end of the war, and many Tanks and JPs rolled out with non-standard camo patterns and colours. Bovington's JP was actually finished and painted by the British in non-standard patterns. But, I just happen to like the JP in Rotbraun and Dunkelgelb stripes. :D Green suits the garden more.
Tamiya's usual recommended Red-brown XF-64), Dark Green (XF-61)and Dark yellow (XF-60) would have been wrong for this late war JP version.
A few bits of touchup are needed, and overspray removed, Then I can work on the tools, and attach them. The spare tracks will also given a black/grey shade with hints of metallic and rust.
After lacquer, and decals, I shall add washes and tints.
I don't know why I like the Jagdpanther so much, but I prefer it to the Tamiya Panther that donated the flash unit and gearboxes. The Panther will be re-styled and fitted with alternate drive units.

Note to self: wash the windows!

Return to “Tamiya Builds”