1/35th Early Tiger I refresh

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

1/35th Early Tiger I refresh

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks to Modler showing what can be done in the smaller scales and subsequently finding Ferny's original thread for one of these 2000 Tamiya 1/35 scale radio control tank series, I was able to snag a second hand version off eBay that came with a couple of extras too! A Ripmax 1/54 Tiger I which I will be raiding for parts (it has a LED flash in the barrel and a micro turret rotation unit too) and a 1/72 Unimax Forces of Valor 85401Henschel/Porsche Sd.Kfz.182 King Tiger Diecast Model German Army, Normandy, France, D-Day, June 6th 1944!

After checking that the Tamiya Tiger I ran (a couple of the motor pinions were slipping on their shafts) I have removed all the original electronic gubbins ready for a replacement system, hopefully with sound and turret traverse/barrel elevation and flash.

I was thinking that I could attempt to add suspension, but that may be a step too far...

The upgrades have already started to come in, with a set of Friulmodel ATL-25 Early Tiger I metal tracks and for some reason I thought it would be a good plan to get an Aber 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger I Ausf.E (Sd.Kfz.181) Early Version Upgrade Set # 35K01, as my first attempt at using photo etch... :wtf:

I definitely need to get a set of magnifying glasses!

There's a few discrepancies with early air cleaners/drive sprockets, but a later mantlet. There's also a couple of glue issues that will need sorting out on the rear.

These rather lovely chaps were also included in the package - hopefully they won't be too much trouble! :D

square4
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/35th Early Tiger I refresh

Post by square4 »

Good looking models, they often look better in a smaller scale, well done. :thumbup:
I never finish anyth
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Gee whizz!!.............thats a lot of detail crammed onto a small motorised tank mate.
Looking at those motors, they appear to be the same size as the ones common on most H/L 16th tanks !!
The exterior looks to be well replicated for sure.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Jimbo, that's a great tank all around! I will follow your updates closely as I have one of those that I did a minor detail buildup on.( grill screens, metal barrel, new tracks, etc. ) It's about time to upgrade the gearbox in it as well after many years of motoring around on countertops. Following along!
regards,
Painless
Attachments
New shoes for my Tiger.JPG
New shoes for my Tiger.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks gents.

I've started assembly of the new tracks - this may take some time!

I'll look forward to seeing your updates later Painless... Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Friul tracks , a great upgrade . Sometimes a set of track cost more than the 1/35 tank kit but having the tracks sag is a winner. Also the detail is spot on in 1/35 scale, wish the 1/16 was as good. Good luck with the Aber upgrade.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Damn right ronnie42, I'm rather impressed with the quality of the kit, had one link that was unusable due to a defect, but I have 40 links left to use after completing the tracks.

It says to 'seal' the brass track pins in with superglue, can anyone see an issue with me soldering them instead?

The Aber kit has also turned up - oh my!

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Have fun. I had the Aber set for my 1/16 Tamiya Tiger. That proved interesting. I dread to think what 1/35 is like.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

It's small, smaller than I could ever have imagined...

As I was attempting to remove parts from the original kit, it was obvious that I'd be creating more work than necessary to clean up the surfaces for the PE kit additions.

So, £26 later I have a new kit to build and place onto the original lower hull.

As this is the basis for the RC version, all should go together easily...

Also had another thought about electrics - an Open Panzer board would fit!

jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Started on the new kit bits and thank the stars, it all fits perfectly!

The plan is to have opening hatches (engine hatch - check!) and attempt recoil, elevation and rotation, so there needed to be a bit of feckling to get the full range of elevation.

Thanks to the Chinese New Year, I'm going to be waiting some time for bits to arrive. The Aber kit should keep me busy until the Postie delivers...

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”