Tamiya Pz IV Ausf.F1

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Tamiya Pz IV Ausf.F1

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks,

I have it on "good" authority that Santa will be bringing me a Tamiya Pz IV (it's good to be Santa! ;) ). I want to build it into a D.A.K. F1. Santa will also be bringing a Trumpeter G kit for some additional details and possibly to build a D.A.K. F2. I have considered a D.A.K. Ausf.E just because it would be a unique build with the changes to the frontal armor.

Will someone help me understand what the encircled structures purpose is? Is it to limit max depression of the main gun?

TIA,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tamiya Pz IV Ausf.F1

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi Barry I always thought it was a guide to push the antenna mast out of the way when the turret rotation was engaged.....
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That mate is exactly what Mr Rainford said, an insulated guide to force the aerial out of the way futon traverse .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Carl and Herman are quite right,
Remember to remove it if you are building a late Ausf "G" or an Ausf "H" or an Ausf "J" because the Aerial was relocated to the right rear flank on those types.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am always a bit wary of using the "F2" designation because while the term was used in the German army it was dropped very quickly when it was found to be fouling up the spares supply chain as the quartermasters of Panzer Regiments were under the mistaken impression that the Ausf "F1" and the Ausf "F2" were similar when in fact they were completely different in a number of ways most especially the main gun and mantlet,
Indeed the "Tommies" in North Africa referred to the Ausf "F2" as "Specials", It was officially redesignated as the Ausf "G".
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Antenna Deflector, I knew the answer would be found here. :clap:

I have already picked up several publications covering the Pz IV but no where could I find the answer. I was/am also surprised that there are so few good photos of the Ausf. F1 at least in the 4 books I have thus far. If anyone knows of a good source of photos of D.A.K F1s I would be most appreciative.

I have read about the F2/G confusion and if I go that direction it will be an early F2/G with the single baffle, ball shaped muzzle brake.

For some reason I am drawn to the F1 version in D.A.K. service can't really explain it. :think:

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Barry Hi,
I usually find myself referring for photographic back up to Paul Thomas's "Panzer IV at War" 1939-1945,
It is part of the "Images Of War" series,
ISBN 978-1-84884-681-4,
133 pages of black and white pictures some more grainy than others in a soft cover book of 146 pages.
I have had this book for some years and I don't know if it is still available but it shows every Panzer 4 variant many of them while serving in the field.
Recommended.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Barry for the Rivet counters amongst us you have to be careful when allocating PZ4s to the Afrika Korp because the DAK refers to the Corp HQ and a few outer units.
Certainly not very many of the Armoured formations that are usually attributed to it.
Indeed the Tunisian Tigers were never a part of the DAK and none of them carried the stylised palm tree marking,
German soldiers who served in the North African campaign would to a man proudly boast of serving with the Afrika Korp when their unit was not in fact part of the DAK.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thank you sir!

I found the book on eBay. :thumbup:

I understand what you are saying about the assignments.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
paulc
Private

Post by paulc »

book is also available here https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Panzer- ... Pub/p/4923. might grab a copy myself for when I start on my one
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger

Return to “Tamiya Builds”