Tamiya Jagdpanther overhaul and new transmission

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther overhaul and new transmission

Post by sevoblast »

You just put a big smile on my wife's pretty face, now she's looking at what we have here and happily choosing parts for the current overhaul. She wants to take over our Jagdpanther and turn it in to a trophy unit and do it to the '9's'. She's a vicious fighter with her Panther and T34/76, it would be frightening with her behind the controls of a JP.
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

awesome, and sorry for your loss. LOL
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

I'm looking around to see if the Sovs captured and used one, I'll use any legal precedent I can to prevent her getting her grubby little hands on the JP and sticking a red star on it.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Daryl says he will have the Jagdpanther trunnion sets done by week's end if all goes well. The elevation and rotation arms are steel, not brass or aluminium. This will be a one of run of this set, he will build no more. We will have two sets not sold yet, so if you want the system, now is the time. You can PM me or email me at my usual email.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Things have finally calmed down enough that I can get back on the JP. I stripped everything out of him down to the bare hull, this takes surprisingly little time to accomplish, about an hour and a half and the hull is bare. The hull was sanded lightly inside and out with a 220 grit block before blowing on some red primer.
_DSC0390ab.jpg
After drying for three days in our mid summer sun, I taped the inside to cover every hole in him before I blew on Tamiya TS 3.
_DSC0386ab.jpg
Before the primer, I smoothed out the relief holes for the Eto transmission which involved removing the 0.50 plasticard from the lower front hull. I had attached it with Moment rubber adhesive, the same stuff I use on the zimmerit installation of the P4. With not too much careful worrying of the part, it will come off. Petroleum based solvent will remove whatever adhesive stayed on the hull and the plasticard. I put the same piece of plasticard back on the beast before doing the paint work.

The blue tape I use is Scotch 'Painter's Tape'. It is quite strong and comes off easily but it's not as sticky as masking tape.
_DSC0388ab.jpg
The end result will be something I prefer to do. Not only will the outside be reasonably well detailed, painted and very mildly weathered, but the interior will be pleasing to the eye.

Before all the goodies go in, I'll seal any joints with a very fine sealer. Any left over holes in the hull will have pan head screws in them with nuts inside. There will be a bunch of them, my TU's attach with two standoffs outside each suspension rail, so that's four inside the rails at the front to be sealed. He will get a HennTec idler unit so that's two more, and some other things will also be changed. There will be a hull brace at front and back over the sponsons and the rear one will also have the standoff for the upper hull attachment. The hull floor will not flex with my transmissions installed since it's all one unit, the four attaching bolts pretty much stiffen the hull floor. The sprocket guides are Impact from some old stock I have here.

He's also going to get the Wecohe suspension but the two front road wheels will have Tamiya torsion bars. My TU's are a little heavier than stock, two Tamiya transmissions weigh 470 grams, my units all up weigh 650 grams. That's not really a lot of difference, but toss in the fact that this beast may well be run by VCO, who takes no prisoners and has been known to run through some pretty rough country in her quest to ventilate the opposition, and methinks it's a prudent measure.

There will also be final drive details compliments of Daryl Turner. These little items are 3D printed and he's going to get back to making them, so I'll have them in stock soon. I'm debating whether to go with the sprocket guide rubber tyred wheel, a metal wheel like P4 return roller, or fabricate a very late 'skid shoe' used at the end.
Last edited by sevoblast on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Good progress.

Watching on :)

Did you find the steel wheel photo?
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Progress will be better now, we've been buried for almost a month wending our way through Officialdom in addition to having an addition to our family. I expect in another couple days to have the time to really parse through the massive files I have on Panther and Jagdpanther, I know the photo is there, I just have to find it. I've also got a photo buried in there of a late Panther, or Jagdpanther, with spaced armor on the lower hull front, clearly seen and bolted on. Once I find that, the JP will get that added on.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

That’ll be a nice addition!
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

It was in interesting setup, only one I've ever seen. You know the famous 'Chobham Armor' was actually developed by an American bank armored car company in the early thirties, yes?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I did not know that, makes for interesting reading.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”