Tamiya M551 Sheridan Build videos

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!

Postby pitstain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Part 1 is live on YouTube

Hopefully I provide useful info along with all my random blabbering.

phpBB [video]
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby StumpyBloke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Looking forward to watching this. I bloody love build videos. Always ways Andy’s Hobby Headquarters’ ones too. He’s your neck of the woods...well, country anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StumpyBloke
Recruit

Postby pitstain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:05 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:Looking forward to watching this. I bloody love build videos. Always ways Andy’s Hobby Headquarters’ ones too. He’s your neck of the woods...well, country anyway

Hope you enjoy it, but it is nothing like an Andy video, I am somewhat more...umm...pragmatic.

there is some important info in there between my babbling rants.

Thanks!
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby StumpyBloke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm

I honestly have no idea if that’s a positive or negative towards Andy’s videos LOL.

StumpyBloke
Recruit

Postby pitstain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:10 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:I honestly have no idea if that’s a positive or negative towards Andy’s videos LOL.

Andy's vids are excellent, I have watched just about every single one, but also watch alot of AvE tool reviews.

I'm kind of in the middle between them, informative yet silly...LOL
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby StumpyBloke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 pm

pitstain wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:I honestly have no idea if that’s a positive or negative towards Andy’s videos LOL.

Andy's vids are excellent, I have watched just about every single one, but also watch alot of AvE tool reviews.

I'm kind of in the middle between them, informative yet silly...LOL
Ahh, I get ya!

StumpyBloke
Recruit

Postby Eastern Front » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 am

pitstain wrote:Part 1 is live on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-3sZ_U9zpE

Great Video...
On another note for you.. I have alot (I mean Alot) of Tamiya FO tanks, if you put in a screw and it strips, stop and remove it, place a drop of Tenax 7R in the plastic and re-thread the screw until its in--stop do not tighten anymore. The plastic will now (basically) melt around your screw enough to reset the hole. Once its set up in about 4 hours you will be able to unscrew it as if it was never stripped. This will not cause the whole piece to warp in any way.
This also my first go to for attaching any parts on the hull. Once you Tenax a part on the hull, its as hard to get off as a Henglong molded into the hull part! I also use this to put on Photo etched parts.

Cheers!
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby pitstain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 am

Eastern Front wrote:
pitstain wrote:Part 1 is live on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-3sZ_U9zpE

Great Video...
On another note for you.. I have alot (I mean Alot) of Tamiya FO tanks, if you put in a screw and it strips, stop and remove it, place a drop of Tenax 7R in the plastic and re-thread the screw until its in--stop do not tighten anymore. The plastic will now (basically) melt around your screw enough to reset the hole. Once its set up in about 4 hours you will be able to unscrew it as if it was never stripped. This will not cause the whole piece to warp in any way.
This also my first go to for attaching any parts on the hull. Once you Tenax a part on the hull, its as hard to get off as a Henglong molded into the hull part! I also use this to put on Photo etched parts.

Cheers!

That is a great tip and much appreciated, I luckily felt the stripping before it went too far but will order some up for future use!
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby pitstain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 am

Part 2 is live

phpBB [video]
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby fury69 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 am

Question.
Is the plastic ABS. Can regular plastic cement be used or super glue. I had hell on my leopard keeping parts glued together.

fury69
Recruit

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

fury69 wrote:Question.
Is the plastic ABS. Can regular plastic cement be used or super glue. I had hell on my leopard keeping parts glued together.

For ABS you should not use regular styrene glue and never ever super glue. You should use ABS glue, or some solvent based glue, even straight acetone from the bottle works, but never super glue.

Pitstain: Thanks for the videos, very interesting.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

Mr pitstain. I took the liberty of making your YouTube videos show up/stand out on the forum.

If you go to edit on the posting with a video, you will see what I did.
When you write a post, if you go top right of the writing panel and click on the "video" button, two sets of square brackets show up on the writing panel. Just put the YouTube address between them. And you can do that anywhere within your post to position it where you want :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby pitstain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks guys.

there is a mix of PS and ABS in just about every kit, I can double check the sprues to see whats what.

Thanks for the Video posting tip Mr. gun-ner! much appreciated.
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby fury69 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 am

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
fury69 wrote:Question.

For ABS you should not use regular styrene glue and never ever super glue. You should use ABS glue, or some solvent based glue, even straight acetone from the bottle works, but never super glue.

Pitstain: Thanks for the videos, very interesting.

thx for the tip...

fury69
Recruit

Postby fury69 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:54 am

pitstain wrote:Thanks guys.

there is a mix of PS and ABS in just about every kit, I can double check the sprues to see whats what.

Thanks for the Video posting tip Mr. gun-ner! much appreciated.

ok great thx....

fury69
Recruit

Postby pitstain » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 pm

OK so this thing is about 100% PS, only ABS i see so far is the speaker box and the turret rotation gearbox, Build Video part 3 is uploading currently.
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby pitstain » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Part 3 is live! Video quality will improve to 1080p once YouTube finished processing.

phpBB [video]
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby Eastern Front » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 am

Cool Part 3...

Its good you have to remove the tracks again to paint because they are on backwards :O Just kidding :haha:

Watching this---still..

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby pitstain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Eastern Front wrote:Cool Part 3...

Its good you have to remove the tracks again to paint because they are on backwards :O Just kidding :haha:

Watching this---still..

Cheers!

I thought the same but if you look at the box art the tracks have the tapers pointing rearward, I will do some more research.

Thanks for watching!
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby Eastern Front » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:18 pm

pitstain wrote:
Eastern Front wrote:Cool Part 3...

Watching this---still..

Cheers!

I thought the same but if you look at the box art the tracks have the tapers pointing rearward, I will do some more research.

Thanks for watching!

Pitstain, I was kidding LOL... Its always been an item of discussion especially where the German Panzer III & IV were concerned. Since this AFV (Sheridan) has similar tracks I thought I would just rib ya on it.. Your tracks are on correct,,,You still have to remove them for painting though :haha: :haha:

Seriously though, have fun with it!

Cheers!!
Eastern Front

Next

Return to Tamiya Builds