My Tamiya M551 sheridan unboxing video!!

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
pitstain
Corporal

My Tamiya M551 sheridan unboxing video!!

Post by pitstain »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: My Tamiya M551 sheridan unboxing video!!

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the cheery 'Seinfeld' (or is it 'Curb') peek into the contents of the (reduced size) Sheridan box. :D
Maybe Tamiya is on an eco drive by packing tanks into smaller, and less design-conscious, boxes. I guess it also makes them cheaper to transport. The assemble-it-yourself gearboxes may be another way of saving money at the manufacturing end. Painting rubber tyres on, though ??? :thumbdown: That's a bit cheap and nasty.
The mouldings look as crisp as ever, however,..and that new DMD unit deserves a much closer look (inside as well, if possible :thumbup: ).
Hope the promised butt-kicking, courtesy of the other half, didn't happen as a result time spent on this vid review. :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks for the "entertaining" video. :thumbup:

As expected mine arrived just after 6PM. A quick look through the manual is as far as I've gotten. :clap:
I will be ordering the ball bearing as well. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I too would have preferred rubber tires but the Good news is the tracks actually have rubber cleats. :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Pitstain, a bit of critic here:

I find extreme disgusting how you treat the sprues and parts, it almost made me stop the video. I thought I was the only one, but a bunch of people in german forums are commenting the same. Maybe we are too sensible in this part of the world, I dont know. But it ruins the video for me.

Talking about the kit, Id love to see a build report, I am very curious about it.

Bearings: Yeah, for that price, it should come with them.
Rubber tires: I like them. I hate having to repaint the wheels after every run. Id rather replace the tires once every ten years or so. My sherman has tons of kilometers and the tires are lasting fine. Maybe metal tracks would wear them out fast, dont know.
Assembling gearboxes: Cool! The more things to assemble, the better!
Glad to see barrel an servo recoil too.
About the radio, well, I already said it in one million forums, a 25 bucks flysky radio is miles ahead than that extreme overpriced tamiya radio, and nope, you dont need to play street fighter stick combinations neither, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

Hey Rad,

I'm a quirky guy, and a big fan of the channel on youtube called aVe, he does tool reviews that are hilarious, and I kind of took that approach. I appreciate the slow, plodding, hyper detailed reviews of kits as well but I am just not that formal, I promise no animals or model parts were harmed during the filming if that makes you feel better.

as for a $25 flysky, I won't argue with you, I just prefer Futaba and in this case a Futaba built Tamiya radio, personal preference is what it is.

Also if the British are considered to have a "dry" sense of humor, then I will re-think any future plans to visit Germany because I just can't mingle with people who have zero sense of humor.

I will be posting a detailed build thread since there are no existing ones.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

pitstain wrote:Hey Rad,

I'm a quirky guy, and a big fan of the channel on youtube called aVe, he does tool reviews that are hilarious, and I kind of took that approach. I appreciate the slow, plodding, hyper detailed reviews of kits as well but I am just not that formal, I promise no animals or model parts were harmed during the filming if that makes you feel better.

as for a $25 flysky, I won't argue with you, I just prefer Futaba and in this case a Futaba built Tamiya radio, personal preference is what it is.

Also if the British are considered to have a "dry" sense of humor, then I will re-think any future plans to visit Germany because I just can't mingle with people who have zero sense of humor.

Lol, Im glad nobody and nothing got damaged. I like funny reviews too, in fact I laughed with the Hadouken part, but I dont know, I preffer to handle the things with care. Yes, I give a kiss of good night to all my tanks before going to bed.

And also, man, think about the parts!, I am sure they would not throw you like that if they were reviewing you, lol. Sprues have feelings, you should know it! You should tell them it wont happen again, it was just somekind of training for the future battles.

Easter Front: Road wheels in black ABS would be a nice option too. But I still preffer the rubber.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
pitstain wrote:Hey Rad,

Lol, Im glad nobody and nothing got damaged. I like funny reviews too, in fact I laughed with the Hadouken part, but I dont know, I preffer to handle the things with care. Yes, I give a kiss of good night to all my tanks before going to bed.

And also, man, think about the parts!, I am sure they would not throw you like that if they were reviewing you, lol. Sprues have feelings, you should know it! You should tell them it wont happen again, it was just somekind of training for the future battles.

Easter Front: Road wheels in black ABS would be a nice option too. But I still preffer the rubber.
All in good fun man! LOL and again would want rubber tires, as they are also a bit kinder to the resin tracks.
fury69
Recruit

Post by fury69 »

cant wait for your build report!
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

fury69 wrote:cant wait for your build report!
Should have my ball bearings in tomorrow or the next day. I may also do a time lapse YouTube video of the build.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”