Tamiya Pershing - Alice who?!

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Tamiya Pershing - Alice who?!

Post by jimbo_wa »

Damn this forum and all who sail in her! Image

Yep, because of you (and no other reason - it wasn't my fault) I now have a third tank in the space of three months...

It was an eBay splurge from the weekend that turned up today with a visitor from Swansea!

The real reason for the box though was Alice... (not sure who she is!)

It made the journey without too much trouble, a few bits have fallen off in shipping, but overall is in decent nick - just smells a bit of fags...

Opened up, I think it's a early version as it's not using LED's and fibres for the lights. With the only thing that seems missing being the rear red LED.

It also has all the detail parts, some seem welded onto the hull(!) however the 50cal isn't original - oh well!

I'm in two minds to keep it running the stock electrics or swap out for an Open Panzer board as I will be connecting with a FrSky Tx.

Wanting to have this as my IR battler so simplicity and reliability are the way to go.

If there is anything that needs replacing or upgrading, I'll deal with it eventually with the three tanks and five total builds in progress... Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tamiya Pershing - Alice who?!

Post by tomhugill »

If you're using as a battler (and they battle brilliantly), I'd stick to the stock electrics, they just work, no fuss.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Enjoy that Pershing! That kit is still one of the best that Tamiya offers. I used many parts from it to kit bash my original Heng Long Pershing into a real beauty of a tank. Pics of your build as you restore and remake. ( if you can find a product over there called 'Natures Miracle', mist your tank and parts lightly with it and let it air dry. It should remove the cigarette odor. It is made for pet messes and is a natural oxygenator ) Tank doesn't look yellowed so it didn't belong to a five pack a day-er at least.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
B-12 is clanking along again!.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

That's a spectacular piece. The stock electronics are the way to go like Tom said
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ahhh...isn't it wonderful, how modern living allows the individual to blame anyone else (and everyone else), for his, or her, lack of self-restraint :haha: :thumbup:
Oscar Wilde once said that the 'only way to overcome temptation, is to yield to it!..." and yield he did :D But, I don't think he blamed anyone but himself for that. :)
In stark contrast to my youth (around the time of William Wallace :haha: ), when selfishness was frowned upon; it's now it's applauded and encouraged in the modern (consumerist world).
Thus, Jimbo, I salute your profligate ways and accept- in a small part- responsibility for your willful self-indulgence :thumbup:
What a beaut! Carry on splashing the cash, so we can enjoy it too- vicariously :D :thumbup:
It looks like it has been well looked after, and had hardly seen the light of day, judging by the freshness of the green plastic.
If you take a pic of the MFU and post it here, it will be possible to check whether the MFU has the connection port for lights. If so, the bits you need should be obtainable from Axel's. Here:
https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... e-parts~2/
The light unit's not available currently, but you could always order it, or find one secondhand... (prelurved) Check the other bits out that you might need.
Lucky man!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks Tom and Carl - yep, keep the stock electrics it is!

PainlessWolf - that looks great, I'll do what I can to try and match you! Natures Miracle, blimey it better be at around £18/bottle from Amazon UK... Looks like there are slightly cheaper alternatives, will look into it. Thanks you for the pointer.

Roy, I know it's *really* my fault, but no-one's been harmed yet and the Wife has seen it without verbal comment - appreciate that you're stepping up to the plate as my proxy. :clap: Good quoting too - OW came up with a multitude of 'em.

It does seem in almost immaculate condition, scraping off the hot glue to reattach bits has helped enormously, and I may skip on the updated lighting at €38 when I have some red SMD LED's somewhere. However, the V/W trees for the 50cal may be a worthwhile investment...

I deffo have the CN5 connector on the MFU if I do win the Lotto!

Just take stock and stop spending as the year's hobby fund is overdrawn already - an A34 Comet is the 'only' tank I'm now missing! ;)
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Congrats :thumbup:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

That looks great in the snow, hope we get a spring freeze now!

What are the tracks you have on there as they’re not the stock ones are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

jimbo_wa wrote:That looks great in the snow, hope we get a spring freeze now!

What are the tracks you have on there as they’re not the stock ones are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bought it second hand, and it hat the impact track fitted
Drammen Rock City
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ta, they're expensive I think...

Managed to get most bits reattached, but the rear panel rope and front left light guard are absolute bu¶¶ers...

Put the 50cal into the rear turret holder, will remove the barrel and also place it in the rack.

Drilled out the engine hoist points as it was quick and easy!

Does anyone know what this is supposed to attach to - it may be from another kit as I cannot see it on the instruction sheet sprues?

Also got it running in a fashion. Lights turn on and off with the right stick/tap up, machine gun fires with left stick/tap right and cannon fires with left stick/tap left. The turret turns on right stick up/down and elevation on left stick left/right.

But no gear selection on either stick, so no drive.

The sounds are all good.

Wired the FrSky PWM Rx as in the instructions and am not attempting to use extra switches on my FrSky X-Lite Tx. Looks like a channel order issue?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Return to “Tamiya Builds”