Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
percy1510
Corporal

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by percy1510 »

I couldn't agree more but that's what I love about this forum. Everybody loves to help. Since putting up the pic of my Panzer 4 I have had loads of help and offers of spare parts.

Now then here is a question. My panzer has a headlight at the front but there is no wiring so obviously not a working light. Should it be working? or is it just for display on this model?
If it is just for display I could get a metal hedlight easily enough from Forgebear but where would I wire it into a Tamiya DMD unit
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

percy1510 wrote:I couldn't agree more but that's what I love about this forum. Everybody loves to help. Since putting up the pic of my Panzer 4 I have had loads of help and offers of spare parts.

Now then here is a question. My panzer has a headlight at the front but there is no wiring so obviously not a working light. Should it be working? or is it just for display on this model?
If it is just for display I could get a metal hedlight easily enough from Forgebear but where would I wire it into a Tamiya DMD unit
Most of tamiya electronics are so limited that you cant even switch lights... The PIV ones are no exception.
Use a receiver with at least 5 channels. Plug an electronic switch (Should cost you 2-3 euros free shipping) on the channel 5, and wire a warm white led to it. Now you will be able to switch on and off lights at your will.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
percy1510 wrote:I couldn't agree more but that's what I love about this forum. Everybody loves to help. Since putting up the pic of my Panzer 4 I have had loads of help and offers of spare parts.

Most of tamiya electronics are so limited that you cant even switch lights... The PIV ones are no exception.
Use a receiver with at least 5 channels. Plug an electronic switch (Should cost you 2-3 euros free shipping) on the channel 5, and wire a warm white led to it. Now you will be able to switch on and off lights at your will.
Just to add to Rad's helpful comment (and solution). The PzIV, Tiger 1, Panther, King Tiger, Jagdpanther, Jagdpanzer IV, have no lights. I think the M26 Pershing does; Sherman DMD edition has lights front and back;
the Leopard 2A6 also boasts lights; KV-2 (Front and Rear); KV-1 (F & R); JS 2 (Front only). I'm not certain about the others, although the JGSD 10 does have them, and I guess the full-option Abrams as well.
My only beef about Tamiya in the past (apart from the legendary mountainous cost) concerned:- lack of lights on models I wanted; no 360 deg turrets (in the main), and no smokers in any of them. In these three respects, Taigen and Heng Long now offer features Tamiya can't or won't offer. :think: Still, the detail on Tamiya models is- in general vastly superior. For now. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Tonight’s update. I managed to remove the jammed wheel bogie and strip it down. It turned out to be a bit of a nightmare involving a drill, a vice and the big pliers :D . As I suspected the bogie was assembled wrong meaning that the wheel couldn’t turn. This caused the tank to veer left when driving forward.

All wheels now run freely and the tank drives straight. Hurrah

It’s a bit of a milestone because now all of the problems are now fixed and everything is working as it should. All work from now is cosmetic. I have ordered some ceramic grease to grease all of the gears in the elevation, rotation and recoil units . I have also ordered one of the electronic switches as suggested so that I can add working lights.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Mike is one of the all time best exemplars of how to be in the Hobby. I count myself fortunate to know him and have benefited greatly from his assistance, both material and advice related over the years. Thank you sir!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Thank you (and Carl) for the compliment, Painless; but not this time. Jarndice had me beat to the punch before I ever offered up the parts. I'd blame it on about eleven time zones' difference; but it was probably just that he's quicker on the draw. Glad to see that Percy's Panzer is coming along so nicely!
Last edited by sassgrunt on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Percy it's really looking good now. Very impressive work. You are doing a fine job!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

sassgrunt wrote:Thank you (and Carl) for the compliment, Painless; but not this time. Jarndice had me beat to the punch before I ever offered up the parts. I'd blame it on about eleven time zones' difference; but it was probably just that he's quicker on the draw. Glad to see that Robert's Panzer is coming along so nicely!
Mike, you are, of course, the gent living in the middle of the Pacific, I referred to earlier. My Pz IV project would have stalled badly without your selfless assistance. :)
Don't forget all those bits I have for you.
You only have to say the word! For now, Aloha, or, and another familiar tongue: Arigatou gozaimasu!
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nicely done. I remember seeing it on eBay and thinking ‘my god that needs saving’

Not a bad runner out of the box. Very tight for all the electrics.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Nicely done. I remember seeing it on eBay and thinking ‘my god that needs saving’

Not a bad runner out of the box. Very tight for all the electrics.
I often look on Ebay, Adam, for spares and Tamiyas in need of TLC. I Completely missed this one.
Percy's performing a remarkably quick restoration/transformation. It's also truly gratifying, when internal surgery gets things working as they should.. :thumbup: Glad you've ironed out all of the kinks, Percy!

Return to “Tamiya Builds”