Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, that looks so much better :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That's dedication. If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. You've done that :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nicely done! She looks great now, what a transformation!
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Thanks for the comments gentleman. I will be adding the tools later tonight and start painting the details then it will be a case of waiting for the decals to arrive and once they are on a bit of light weathering
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Been doing more to the panzer. I had an issue with the recoil where there seemed to be a bit of a wobble. It turned out that there was not nut holding the recoil unit together so have sorted that. Done a bit of wire tidying up inside. There is not a lot of room to spare in this model. I have been painting a new set of metal tools to replace the original plastic ones that I had to cut off. And finally have started to attach the turret armour, I am having to do it in stages because the support brackets are out of line so am having to glue them and clamp them 1 at a time. Hopefully will finish the armour tomorow.

Last thing to mention is that seen as I have enjoyed restoring the panzer Iv so much and that it is close to getting finished. Look what I got from eBay ta da

jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

The Panzer IV looks great and seems you had plenty of issues to sort out with it too!
percy1510 wrote:
Last thing to mention is that seen as I have enjoyed restoring the panzer Iv so much and that it is close to getting finished. Look what I got from eBay ta da

I tried to buy that in January, but he wouldn’t post it...

Enjoy the new project! Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Hi Jimbo
Regarding the Pershing. The guy agreed to post it and charged me £20.
It was well wrapped and arrived in good shape. It is reasonably well built. Definitely in better shape than the panzer was when I got it. Pretty complete as well, the only major thing
That seems to be missing are the back lights so I will need to try and find some of those but could possibly just use some Heng long ones.
The guy that I got this from has more Tamiya tanks, a tiger, a leopard and I think another Pershing. He will post if you ask him to and because the tanks have not sold for a while he has reduced his prices and is open to offers. He seems to have the same models on more than once at different prices so best check his other items to make sure that you are looking at his lowest prices. A good chance to get cheap tamiya models if anyone is interested. The seller was a
Nice guy. He answers questions quickly, he kept me informed regarding posting dates and messaged me when the tank had been delivered to make sure I was happy with it.
And although they have bad paint jobs, from what I have seen with this Pershing there is not a lot wrong with them.
Glyn

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have really enjoyed watching your hard work saving what was otherwise going to be a total loss,
Very nice, :thumbup:
Of course me being Mr Picky when it comes to Panzer 4s I am assuming the radio aerial will be installed along with the tracks and I have always made a point of cutting off the front fenders and buying the relevant (Early or Late) replacements from "Shapeways" fitting Hinges to them and improving the look overnight.
BUT that's just me :haha:
Good luck with your next venture, You will certainly have my attention.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Hi Jarndice
I will certainly be adding a radio Ariel at some point. I haven't got one yet so will have to look at what Dave had on his site. Don't think that I will cut off the fenders though. I think that I am ready to move on from this model, it has as you have seen had issues with pretty much everything on it plus the dodgy winter cammo
I think that once the decals have been applied I will do a small amount of weathering and call this one done. I have enjoyed posting updates on this site and getting feedback and help from you guys so I will probably do the same with the Pershing. Regarding the panzer iv. I turned the volume up loud last night for the first time and now that everything is working as it should it looked and sounded great, I am very pleased with it. I have had a quick look at the Pershing and covered all the blobs of glue on the hull and turret with de bonder so that I can clean them off ready for a cost of primer, I have to say that the Pershing looks like a much better model than the p4 in terms of build

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sure is a hell of a turnaround Mr Percy :thumbup:
Do you have plans for the clamps ? I guess they will look ok once painted :shifty: should barely notice ;)

The poor old Pershing looks to be a basket case, but judging by your outstanding work on the PzIV, it should be a doddle.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tamiya Builds”