"Zorn" Panzer IV, 1951

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

"Zorn" Panzer IV, 1951

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

EDIT: High quality pics and detailed review, here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... r-iv-zorn/

Hi everybody! Today I'd like to present you my Panzer IV.

First of all, I must say the tank is not fininished yet. Mud, pigments and so on are on the way...

And second, for the rivet counting people, yes, I know the camo is not corret. People says it should be dunkelgelb with other colors and not grey with white wash... But I wanted to do something different and personal. And it is not grey with white wash... It is white with black stripes of camo!. As I said, I know, is not correct, but I like it and it is what it counts :) the same applies to all the artistic licences like the red extinguisher or the MG42 in the cuppola. I did the camo with the idea of a long urban winter end of 1945, so it can blend good between the rests of the good old german citys and snow...

So! The tank is a Tamiya Panzer IV, Using Elmod fusion pro electronics.
Ball bearings installed in road wheels by my friend Daryl.
Daryl's gearbox mount and metal elevation arm.
Elevation and recoil will be replaced with servos soon.
Metal tracks.
Working turret machine gun.
Aliexpress resins (Jeff Shiu's knockouts. Poor Jeff :( )
Custom made smoke machine (stay away from Tarr!) Using straigt baby oil.
Working warm white headlights.
Some extra detail like handmade zimmerit, working towing hatch, working frontal driver window abatible, turret rotation muffler and so on, anti air MG42.
Numbers, flag and crosses done using my own paint masks (want some? Write me!)

Everything painted, zimmerited and fitted by me. Now some photos and one video: Sorry for the crappy video, but you all know how hard is to film and to drive at the same time...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

phpBB [video]

And lastly, just curious, who does know here what is the flag that the PIV has? I did not invent it.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Sat May 15, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
c.rainford73
Major

Re: My Panzer IV

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow very nice. I've always been a fan of the panzer IV in winter camo. Love the colors and figures!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Lovey work!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, this does look cool :thumbup:
I too like the winter panzer 4. The taigen version was one of my earliest purchases just for the colour scheme :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Lovely tank, not keen on the camo myself but good job :)
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Thanks, guys :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: Very nice indeed, Rad. :thumbup: Never mind the camo. The overall effect is tremendous, as is the group of figures you've assembled on the Tamiya. :thumbup:
Following a tip from you on another thread, I've pretty much decided to fit the Elmod to My own Tamiya Pz IV Ausf.J.
What's More, several Ausf Js were sent to the Finnish army, and the Finns use a camo scheme which is quite unlike the ones we are used to from WW2.
Estniche, incidentally, was planning to use Finnish camo on his StuG 3 project, if you recall. I rather liked the look of the muted pastel colours the Finns used, (and he was intending to use)....and so vive la Difference, eh!?
Thus, my Tammy Pz IV will probably end up Finnish (if not finished.. :/ :wave: ) :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

"...And lastly, just curious, who does know here what is the flag that the PIV has? I did not invent it..."

It looks a little like a German or Austrian (unit )command flag of some sort from WW2, Rad. Can't see the symbol in the middle. Is it an Eagle, or some sort of wheatsheaf? Hard to tell.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Looks like arrows :think:

And maybe this is it.

Symbols of Francoism - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbols_of_Francoism
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Uops, my bad, I did not post a propper photo of the flag. Thanks for the help, Mick, there are indeed arrows. Here is another photo.
flag.jpg

Return to “Tamiya Builds”