"Zorn" Panzer IV, 1951

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: My Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

Rad!
I hear you and can only agree. We'll have to take the Good with the Bad when it comes to co-habiting with Perfectionists. Or as we Wolves like to put it, "Take the Meat and Leave the Bone" I always like to look at tanks and think about the hard work and labor of love that the Builder put into them. I can then do my damndest to point out the great Stuff accomplished and be encouraging, not a nit-picker. ;o)
regards and keep up the Builds!
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Rad you build such good quality Armour that even a purist would have to stand back and say Brilliant, well done,
And with the Panzer 4 and the Tiger 1 in North Africa there is a blatant example in many photographs that prove something that did not officially exist on German Armour on that battlefield really did exist,
The MG34 AA Cupola Mount.
The Official factory mount did not happen until the European/Soviet campaign,
Tank Commanders were getting mighty fed up with the Allied Desert Air Force knocking 7 bells out of them so they worked with the field workshops to make an AA cupola MG34 mount and there are so many examples on both sides of local unofficial modifications such as the Bocage busters designed and fitted to M4s by American field workshops,
I Built my first Tunisian Tiger 1 (813) with two removable cupolas, one highly detailed with an AA mount complete with Gurt Sacs and,MG34, I remember Painless assuring me that it was a viable fit and to ignore the "Experts",
But because at the time I had no wish to be shown up as building in obvious faults I painted up a plain cupola that I would fit when knowall mates came by.
With a Production run in excess of 8,000 PZ4s there was massive scope for many Field modifications which were carried out by the crew and the field workshops which gives the modeller room to do pretty much what he/she likes so you can get away with just about anything.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Mr painless yes rivet counters do have there use and for those wanting a replica rather than an interpretation they are a useful tool in the builders Arsenal. Mr jimster if you like a panzer with green convoy light you would like my dads panzer Iv but sadly as he is not a member I cannot show it to you
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Exhibitedbrute wrote: Mr jimster if you like a panzer with green convoy light you would like my dads panzer Iv but sadly as he is not a member I cannot show it to you
Tell him to join us! Anyway you can always take a pic of his toy and show it to us.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent idea!
Speaking of green vs blue, the vast majority of my internet searching results in green being the winner. Some images of original convoy lights confirms green. A few speak of blue being a late war color but since I’m a fairly early war guy I went with green. But hey, whatever floats the proverbial boat. I guess it’s just a toy after all. B|
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jimster wrote:Excellent idea!
Speaking of green vs blue, the vast majority of my internet searching results in green being the winner. Some images of original convoy lights confirms green. A few speak of blue being a late war color but since I’m a fairly early war guy I went with green. But hey, whatever floats the proverbial boat. I guess it’s just a toy after all. B|
Well, this is one of those cases where the rivet counters can help.
I think vehicles with a square notek (usually medium tanks and light vehicles) had green color, and heavy tanks with the cilinder notek had it in blue. I might be wrong though.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

One original example.
Initial production Tigers had these according to photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

For me it’s all about what the builder wants their tank to look like for example mr tommyhugills firefly. It’s is a very nice model with a very nice paint job but for me it’s missing a few things and a little too heavily weathered but a nice piece none the less. then we have soreens kv-1 very nicely weathered and put together and a worthy winner of totm with that there s are things on that kv-1 I will be putting on my own such as the oil tank. Then we look at my current build the early a1 for some it maybe wrong because the Wheels are improvised 6 spoke rather than 5 like it had or that the idler won’t be altered or tracks won’t have rubber pads or the turret won’t be direct vision but I am not building the prototype I am building a fighting unit that would like so many Sherman’s were fitted with the newer more effective equipment. If it survived its first engagement.

To sum up a long pointless sentence its not really about the finished model for many of us it’s about the journey to it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Some news in this never ending build!

I have seen the cool job our Painless Wolf did on his Panzer IV so it inspired me and I decided I needed a front notek and a horn, like his build. My tank had already horn sounds and a working rear notek, so I thought it was about time to fit those parts in my Panzer IV Ausf R. (of Rad)

Cant wait until is dark to switch it on!
photo_2020-10-31_12-19-16.jpg
photo_2020-10-31_12-19-16.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I rather like the Notek light, as well Rad- in fact I bought a two off Forgebear. :thumbup:
One will go on my HL Panther- not because it's historically accurate, but because I like it.
:D
That said, the Panther in the Deutsche Panzer Museum (Munster) has a Notek light.
The Pz IV looks good with it :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”