Super Pershing

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Peter W
Recruit

Re: Super Pershing

Post by Peter W »

Very nice Tom. Are you going to lower the front slightly like on the real thing ?

Peter
HL/Taigen Tiger 1 mish mash in progress
HL Super Pershing in progress
HL M4A3 105mm
Ludwig Comet
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

It would really set off the look of it, but I'm not sure how to achieve the effect without adding a lot of weight to the nose (which i don't have room for and could adversely effect the handling)
Peter W
Recruit

Post by Peter W »

Been wondering how to do it on mine......?

Peter
HL/Taigen Tiger 1 mish mash in progress
HL Super Pershing in progress
HL M4A3 105mm
Ludwig Comet
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

More done on the super p, slowly getting there. First order of business was to back date her to the example that was sent to Europe (and stop Nick Tattersall from moaning at me Image). To that end the loaders hatch was removed as was the telescoping mg mount. The mg was relocated to the loaders split hatch. Next was to add the small plates that can be seen on the real one where the fenders have been cut down. 4mm brass sheet cut to size. Grab handles have been added to the stowage bins, references I have aren't 100% clear as you can only see the rear bin in the pictures of her at Kassel, and the one before she got the elephant ears is a long shot with them hard to make out. Next was the slow process of adding welds. I've started using Vallejo plastic putty for the first time and it's amazing for welds, just have to be patient for it to start to cure before making the indents as it's quite runny out the tube. Next up will be more welds, amending the engine deck locks and some more fine detail.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Very nice and so many additional details added. For the Valley putty, I found that as well. It hat a fine tip to really squeeze it into the corners. One thing I found, better do it in two application so than one. First layer gives the meat to the filled in corner, and while it shrinks a bit it also curse faster. Than add a second layer on top. That will cute faster as well, but the first layer can still be shaped and you have a lower risk of creating bubbles and will get a more even finish.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Looking good Tom, always liked the Super Pershing. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Putty works well for weld lines :)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Some more done on the super P. I've replaced the shock absorber with one for shape ways but it needed a fair bit of snipping and reshaping and added the brackets on the rain cover. First coat of primer on, I love this as it's the first time it's all tied together in one colour.
I'm also experimenting with covers for the sensors, they look a bit rubbish exposed. So I've tried using exposed 35mm film as a glass substitute. Not only does it look like glass but also it acts as a visible light filter and only let's through IR.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I really like the shading/ageing, Tom. The beast is beginning have that essential authentic look :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that looks amazing. Wow
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”