Super Pershing

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Super Pershing

Post by tomhugill »

c.rainford73 wrote:Tom this looks spectacular. I cant believe it's a Pershing. So cool with the blended colors and black. What electronic bits will power this monster. Image
Hey Carl, very boring, but I'm sticking with tamiya electrics, but with a huddle battle system.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Toying with the stowageImageImageImageImage

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Gosh Tom it looks like a proper beast
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks Carl! Hey guys, little bit more progress on the super Pershing, I was having issues with the turpentine stripping the top coat, so I found some original formula Klear (future) so am using that to seal her before I continue.

Whilst I'm waiting for my testors dullcote to arrive I made a start on the stowage, I had hoped to use it to add some variation to the model but all the references I could find showed that they should be OD, I'm still trying with trying the famous of and some mixes of the two to add variation.

Also I've added half of the sol Sherman crew. These resin figures are superb, they fit perfectly and should add some extra interest to the model. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Tom, The SP is really, really coming along. The only thing that I can even think that you might add is a little more detail to the rear plate. Maybe some styrene strip to make holders for the tow hook, etc.? The tank is such a beauty as is.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
1950 Pershing Rear Bulkhead
1950 Pershing Rear Bulkhead
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As we've come to expect, Tom, the standard of finish is top notch. Of all the various detailing gems, I particularly like the rust, indications of heat, and the pitting on the exhaust 'outlet'. I'm not sure how else to describe it, as it resembles a manifold, rather than a twin exhaust pipe. But it's certainly very eye-catching. :thumbup: Whose product (or products) did you use to get that effect?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thank you for the kind words both.

Painless, sadly I think I'm too far along but something to consider for future builds

Looking at my reference though the hook should really be fitted! But there doesn't seem to be a mount, strange!

43rd the rust is a product by deluxe materials call scenic rust, it comprises of very fine iron filings, a binder (seems to be thinned PVA) and an accelerator (copper sulphate maybe or just vinagar!) You mix the binder and filings and brush on, once dry apply the accelerator and it creates real rust! I've only tried it on exhausts but it looks from others work very versatile in the effect you can get.

Now here comes the scary part, the final dull coat. I've read soany horror stories of projects having a final coat and the lacquer blooming so much the model goes white and is a write off. With buttocks suitably clenched I tested on a wheel. Hmm was that a hint of lightening. No just the lighting. So took the plundge and did the tank. I'm pretty happy with the final result. Will let it properly cute and then on to mud glorious mud!ImageImageImageImageImage

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Mine went white and milky and saved the day using baby oil!

Looks smart mate :D
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Very nice Tom, the camo looks great :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tom!
I built the tow hook mount on mine from a reference book from Squadron. Following along, Doc. The SP was a rare beast and you have done it complete justice.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
A picture from the M26 Pershing Walk Around book
A picture from the M26 Pershing Walk Around book
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Tamiya Builds”