Tamiya Sherman Idlers........

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Chris Preston
Recruit

Tamiya Sherman Idlers........

Post by Chris Preston »

'Evening All,

I now have most of what I need for the conversion of the stock Tamiya 16th scale M4 Sherman (Kit # 56014) into a Sherman Firefly Mk Ic (Hybrid), including the kit itself; MATO VVSS, Tracks, Sprockets, & Idlers (including Idlers with adjustable Track Tensioner); Schumo Hull Plate Stiffener (under the Gear-Boxes);Schumo Gear-Box Stiffener Bars; and Schumo rear hull plate (plastic) stiffener...........so - almost ready to start.

With respect to the Tamiya kit-supplied Idlers, which come with the Idler wheels already mounted to the Idler Bracket - can the wheels be removed without destroying anything in the process? I'm hoping I can remove the dual kit wheels and replace them with the bearing-equipped MATO Idlers. I've already placed the MATO Idlers with adjustable Track Tensioner up to the Tamiya hull, and noticed that the MATO Idler mounting bracket is vertical, rather than angled for the rear lower hull (hope that makes sense).

Any thoughts or advise?

Cheers,

Chris Preston,
Victoria, BC,
Canada
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya Sherman Idlers........

Post by sassgrunt »

Chris, it's difficult to remove the plastic "hub" that holds the Tamiya idler wheel without damaging it too much to use again. Grab it with a pair of pliers and twist it away from the idler mount. You will see a stud sticking out of the center of the idler mount, which is what the hub is pressed down onto. The stud won't help you out with the Mato adjustable idlers, but you can cut it off (hacksaw or Dremel tool) and drill the mount to accept the screw of the Mato idler. It is also a good idea to cut a 1/8" thickness of aluminum to make a reinforcement plate on the inside of the hull of the Tamiya idler mounts, as excess tension on the mounts can cause the thin Tamiya aluminum hull to bow in.
The last thing to consider is if fitting the Mato parts to the Tamiya mount will make the Mato idler wheel sit too far away from the hull to be centered in the track run. If so, you might have to cut the Tamiya mount shorter so that they'll match. -Mike
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Unless I got it wrong, (which is ALWAYS a possibility), I think he is transplanting VVSS suspension onto the Tamiya HVSS hull. I've done it in the past, but found it is a LOT easier to just start with a Heng Long VVSS and go from there.
Pak36
Private

Post by Pak36 »

Always take great care when picking bogies ..... .sorry...I'll get my coat
Chris Preston
Recruit

Post by Chris Preston »

'Morning All,

Many Thanks for all your replies and insight. So.............I have the Tamiya 16th scale Sherman that I'm wanting to convert from an HVSS/105 equipped model (as supplied in the kit) to a VVSS Sherman Firefly Mk Ic (Hybrid), and as indicated in my original post, I have most of what I need to start the conversion. And yes - it's probably MUCH easier to start with a Mato or Heng Long hull, but I like Tamiya. I've already built their Tiger 1 when it first came out, and found it to be a very well engineered kit that went together quickly. I converted that kit into a mid-production Tiger 1.

So, I'm confident I can modify and mount the Mato VVSS units to the Tamiya hull pan, but am hoping it's not too difficult to adapt the Tamiya Idler mounting brackets to accept the Mato metal Idlers (with bearings). Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris - in Victoria

Return to “General Discussion”