Tamiya King Tiger 56004 Restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Tamiya King Tiger 56004 Restoration

Post by Will01Capri »

Hi Guys
I recently bought a Twin Clutch King Tiger Vintage Tamiya tank. It is my first Tamiya tank and i know it is in rough shape, but it will be restored to running order.

There are a few items missing which i however need to source. Obviously i am open to upgrading aswell, but i want to keep the spend low at this time. Maybe spend more later as i have many other models.
-Barrel
-Side mud guards(i have the front, but require side guards and would consider broken ones etc to fix up or use as patterns to remake in metal.
-Rear idler arm
-Rear metal idler wheel

More parts requests to come.

More pics to follow
ImageKing Tiger Resto by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

I am going to go through what builds i can find, but does anyone have any good pictures of these tanks with the detail parts added so i can get an easier idea what is missing?
The dreaded photobucket issue is going to make this rather more difficult. Any picture would be most helpful.

I should say at this point, i do not want to loose the old Twin Clutch system and want to strip & rebuild this to keep it original. i know it doesn't strictly match reality of this tank, but i want to keep the model original to Tamiya as much as possible. As for electrics. We will see, but i may keep it simple and go HL RX18.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tamiya King Tiger 56004 Restoration

Post by tomhugill »

Looking forward to what you do with the old girl!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

tomhugill wrote:Looking forward to what you do with the old girl!
Will keep this updated. I am well chuffed with this my 1st Tamiya tank. Can't wait to make her great again and enjoy it for a bit of playing tank wars :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

What you need is a Pdf of the original instruction manual. Tamiya manuals usually include a full list of all the parts used, together with their serial numbers. Current build manuals can be had here:
http://www.dickietamiya.com/CommonFiles ... eitung.pdf
FInding manuals for deleted items is likely to be very difficult. There are one or two threads here, though, for the same model that you have. I'll see if I can find them.
Maybe it's even worth contacting Tamiya, or Dickie Tamiya for Europe, to find out whether they have the older manuals on file. :think:
Great tank though!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There's a discussion here for example, on the old clutch KT:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=23843&p=220704&hi ... KT#p220704
I''ll add more when I find them..
and here too:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22185&p=202149&hil ... KT#p202149
Bon Chance!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

I have a pdf of the manual......I found it in the ‘downloads’ section of this site.

Hope this helps.

Dayle
Dayle
==========
Current: Tamiya King Tiger (56004), Tamiya M4A3 (56014)
Next: Tamiya Panzer IV (56026)
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Wow thanks guys for all your help so far. Yes a manual would prove to be more than helpful.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Dayle Frame wrote:I have a pdf of the manual......I found it in the ‘downloads’ section of this site.

Hope this helps.

Dayle
Spot on, Dayle. It's right at the bottom of the 'Downloads' page, listed as the 'Original' Tamiya King `Tiger manual. Quite why I didn't bother looking there, when I always advise folks to check the archives etc, eludes me. :{
downloads/index.php?
As a sort of analogy, Scotland was voted 'The most beautiful country in the World', lately by the Rough Guides following. Yet people on the same island ( The English and the Welsh), always seem to look abroad for holiday venues.
Friends across the border, often say " Hmm.,I've heard it's nice there", but always seem to overlook it, and know practically nothing about the Highlands.. except for "There can be only one!!"
Sorry about the wee deviation, Will.. :wave:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As a New Zealander, I get the same thing...........
Living in Aus though, I miss green, and actual white sheep. :shh: :shifty:

I have some guards available if you need them Mr Capri, if I can find them, but as they are, not great examples.
I will go on a hunt & let you know.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As a New Zealander, I get the same thing...........
Living in Aus though, I miss green, and actual white sheep. :shh: :shifty:

I have some guards available if you need them Mr Capri, if I can find them, but as they are, not great examples.
I will go on a hunt & let you know.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tamiya Builds”