Tamiya M4 105 Sherman

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Tamiya M4 105 Sherman

Post by Dayle Frame »

As promised, I received a M4 Sherman tank for my birthday (1/21)....little did I know my wife would buy it for me instead of having to be surreptitious about it me sneaking a purchase under the radar in the next couple of months.

It arrived from AAF (thanks to the board for pointing me in that direction) on Wednesday. I opened it, sorted the parts and got things organized. I primed and painted the suspension bits and the lower hull today. With any luck I can being assembly tomorrow.

I’ll try and keep this thread update with pics as I move through the process. As I’m not too skilled in this realm, I’m not going to weather it or upgrade things too much. I did buy a gearbox mount/hull strengthening plate from ETO though. I’ll probably get some extra bits (sandbags, etc.) to hang on the chassis so she looks a bit fancier than a bone stock version.

Dayle
Attachments
Primer applied to the hill and suspension pieces.
Primer applied to the hill and suspension pieces.
IMG_Jan262018at101615PM.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
All the parts........
All the parts........
IMG_Jan262018at102727PM.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Opening the box.
Opening the box.
IMG_Jan262018at102633PM.jpg (93.94 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Dayle
==========
Current: Tamiya King Tiger (56004), Tamiya M4A3 (56014)
Next: Tamiya Panzer IV (56026)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya M4 105 Sherman

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for posting that most enviable present of yours, Dayle- and a belated 'Many Happy Returns' to you, by the way. :D I bet there are many Forum members wishing they had a wife, or partner, like yours ;) :D
Don't forget to respond with a surprise gift :shh: of your own to her : The bill for your new Tamiya Tiger 1 :lolno: .
Enjoy, and keep the pics coming to ramp up the envy levels here ;D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very nice, nothing like a new box build!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice my friend :clap: you are a very lucky man to have such a wonderful wife Imagefollowing along
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

All of you are correct.....I married well 30 years ago and I’ve been a ‘kept man’ ever since. She’s runs the advanced microscopy lab at Michigan State University. And while she’s smart, she’s also pragmatic. My other ‘hobby’ is racing an Autisn Healey Sprite.....so RC tanking is MUCH less expensive.

I rattle can painted the hull and suspension pieces and have started assembling the chassis.

Dayle
Attachments
Pieces painted....on to assembly.
Pieces painted....on to assembly.
IMG_Jan272018at123452PM.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
Dayle
==========
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

I finished the weekend by doing a ‘dry assembly’. I figured out how to fit a lot of the suspension to the lower hull. I’m not fond of the screws used by Tamiya and have ordered 2mm and 3mm bolts from my local fastener company to use instead. They’re going to be black and look more realistic than a Phillips machine screw. I’ll disassemble all of this, use the new bolts and use locktite in the reassembly this week. By the weekend, I should have the entire lower hull finished......motors, suspension, tracks, drive and ilder wheels all in place. Then begins the tricky part.......all the electronics.

Dayle
Attachments
IMG_Jan282018at91600PM.jpg
IMG_Jan282018at91600PM.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
Dayle
==========
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

I'm jealous Dayle, you should savour the moment.

Do you race the Sprite at Waterford?
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

No.....WHRRI has sound restrictions that make modifying my car to fit their guidelines prohibitive. Race SCCA events at Grattan, GingerMan, MidOhio, Road America, etc. Our national championships were at Indy last fall....that was an experience.

I have in car videos from last season on YouTube under Wounded Turtle Racing.

Dayle
Dayle
==========
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

One of our Aussie legends, Allan Moffat, started his career in the SCCA CENDIV and attended a reunion at Waterford recently. He won a Trans Am round outright in '66, which was a rare feat in a four cylinder car.
image.jpeg
Sorry for side tracking your thread
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

Nice car....very pretty.......not a coupe guy though. Below is a pic of my car with a couple of my mates standing next to it. I’ve campaigned a Sprite for almost 20 years and have had loads of fun with it over the years.

No worries about thread hijacking.....I’ll get it back on track when I post the next update and pic(s).

Dayle
Attachments
Hanging out at Indy.
Hanging out at Indy.
Dayle
==========

Return to “Tamiya Builds”