KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

So it works! Great! you see? I told you, lol
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Great news Herman. You're almost there my friend :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its a step in the right direction anyway.
Still no use to me unless the battle system is functional, but it could be that the recoil /barrel system is not working.
The thing will not even make the noise so I think its a signal issue rather than a fault in the mechanical side.
Could it be as simple as swapping channel cables on the receiver from the DMD ?
All I did was run the respective Tamiya channel cables into the matching channel ports in the Hobby King receiver , but this may not be the right method to obtain full function ?
Guess it cant hurt trying eh...................... :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Recalibrate the tamiya unit again. Which radio do you have? Probarbly you only need to program it a bit. No need to touch any wire.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Recalibrate the tamiya unit again. Which radio do you have? Probarbly you only need to program it a bit. No need to touch any wire.
This one...........
Attachments
P1050043.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Recalibrate the tamiya unit again. Which radio do you have? Probarbly you only need to program it a bit. No need to touch any wire.
This one...........
Ugh... I dont know how to program that radio, but I think you have to plug it to a computer somehow...
I recommend you go get a true programmable radio, with a screen, so you can really enjoy driving the tank, and assign switches for the functions, like shooting the cannon and machine gun and so on...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

So, with a glimmer of hope in mind with the electronic functions working at least enough for me to move things out of the way during the painting process, Ive spent an inordinate amount of time fitting the Panzer Putty mask over all the patches of missing zimmerit on the upper hull. :/
Now I reckon that if I had remembered how long it takes to get the stuff in place after my F05 build, I would have not melted in so many missing patches !! :problem:
The turret I wanted intact, so smart move there.
The glacis plate has a thickened backing piece behind the missing zimmerit patch in case I want to add an armour strike with depth like the ones I've seen on real King Tigers.
Here it is now in base coat of a blended XF-60 German Dark Yellow and 50% XF-55 Deck Tan.
As I'm a heavy handed washer/weather'er this allows a lighter base to start the final process on without darkening it too much.
Plus after F05 I know that the zimmerit holds a lot of wash that cannot be removed by wiping it off as you can understand.
Hopefully the lighter base will end up just right.
Tools and their respective clamps can be blended in by hairy stick once secured.
As there are only so many ways to do a good ole Tri-colour German cam scheme, this one in keeping with its field applied intent will be less than uniform, and will have a measure of camo on the roadwheels.
The actual tank when captured did not have any whitewash at all on it, which is interesting in the sense that they either did not have time to do it, or, they didnt think it would make any difference as the thing had to keep moving to reach its objectives before the Allied airforce got active again & pissed on the parade !!
Surely they knew that the weather was going to be some of the worst in living memory as much as the Allies did ?

Who will ever know.?

Due to the remains of the previous owners work, some of the minor details are not recoverable or scarred, but thats life when doing a renovation. Any glaring eyesores will be dealt with somehow at that time.
As I've mentioned, if the battle system cannot be repaired or otherwise made to work, the only plan B I have is an IBU system.
Good thing these Tamiya thingo's are easy to get back into ;)
I hope soon to secure a track tensioning system from a bloke in my old country- New Zealand.
Again, this can be installed later which is quite convenient !
Attachments
P1060044.JPG
P1060043.JPG
P1060042.JPG
P1020043.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

Greate zimmerit. Cant wait for camo painting
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Lo_Thar wrote:Greate zimmerit. Cant wait for camo painting
Thanks Mr Thar, I'm with you too mate !
I like the sight of camo on my tanks, its a sign of progress. 8)
I will admit its quite light now for German Dunkelgelb, but the last 2 tanks I've done have worked out better for the lighter base coat with the way I like to apply wash.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Waiting for some painting tutorials :D as i don't want to mess up . Any tips on airbrushes, only been looking for ones that are easy to clean :haha: My cheap Revell needs a new needle so might upgrade.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”