KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
B_Man
Corporal

Re: FIRST GO AT THE NARNIA THAT IS TAMIYA

Post by B_Man »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: My idea was one servo mount for recoil and another for elevation that replace the stock units. Considering the tamiya tanks use the same units, Im surprised nobody already did it and put it in shapeways or so.
Something like these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024033 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024033
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

B_Man wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote: My idea was one servo mount for recoil and another for elevation that replace the stock units. Considering the tamiya tanks use the same units, Im surprised nobody already did it and put it in shapeways or so.
Something like these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024033 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024033
Something like that, yes! This guy writes here in the forum, im going to contact him. Thanks!

And sorry Hernan for derrailing your thread...

Edit: One for the heng long tanks: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2103220
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

No derailing at all mate, all info is good info
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I got some pictures thru from Mr Reaper that show how to mount an HL elevation unit into the TAMIYA turret.
I thought I had a unit but turns out I had a man look and it was not !
I pulled one out of a Panther turret and will set about it tonight.
Pics of the set up soon
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Elevation conversion pics
Attachments
IMG_1231 (003).jpeg
IMG_1230 (003).jpeg
IMG_1229 (003).jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

My version of the 'droopy barrel' cure.
Still have to solder the Tamiya cables from the original unit onto the H/L one.
As soon as I tightened the screws, all the slop was gone.
But, the Tamiya unit allows for the barrel being accidentally depressed when not under power by slipping the gears.
This will not be so forgiving.

Thanks to Mr Reaper for the 'how-to' pics previously.
Attachments
PB080038.JPG
PB080037.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

It still has a clutch in it like the tamiya unit it’s just stiffer
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice work Herman. Like the modifications :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Cheers lads, it certainly is a 'must-do' on these things. The barrel is so long that any excess movement at its mount is exagerated at the muzzle brake.
I got on with the rear plate. Getting the enamel paint of is most of the effort.
I used an old razor saw to rough up the jack block & try to introduce a grain effect into it.
The rest of the plate was filled and sanded to reduce the mess.
I have dry fitted new Taigen metal exhausts to the rear and textured the armoured covers with Tamiya putty & an old brush.
They look ok even before a light sand.
Attached jack mounts to the lower plate, and secured the exhaust hardware.
Once its dry I will paint a texture of burnt metal(not sure what that will be at this stage :think: )over the areas covered by the armoured covers and then secure those covers in place.
Ive also done the welds with my now standard heated screwdriver technique and they turned out pretty good.
Once all aspects of the outer details are done, I will get the burner going again & do the zimmerit.
Attachments
PB140039.JPG
this is actually an improvement !
this is actually an improvement !
PB140036 (2).JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Herman Is the plastic on the Tamiya as robust as the ABS stuff on the HL hulls? Was wondering about the heat on the plastic.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”