KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well lads, thanks to the persistent advice of Mr Schuhart and Mr Front, I have one arm out :/
With this new found confidence, and the fact I now have not only a saggy-assed Tamiya tank , but also one with one suspension station gone, I am committed !! (or, I need committing :problem: )

Thanks fellas, I reckon I can do it after all.
Will hook in over Easter break & se how it pulls up. ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

I remember seeing a fix on some forum. Hacksaw blades cut to size then another cut to fit the slots, think he only done some at the front of the tank. He built a new gearbox and it weighted down the front, needed to beef up the suspension.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Been a while lads. Just had a bit on.

One thing I can say when trying to remedy the soft suspension on a Tamiya King Tiger using all the valuable advice I had in here................
DO IT BEFORE YOU FINISH IT :-<
This thing came THE closest to hitting the nearest wall than all my other supposed cheap-ass-Chinese dungers.

Now I know its my fault for getting a basket case, old, renovators dream, but the damn things are not designed to be worked on easily years later if they are not assembled like a Swiss watch from the get go.

Now that rant is over, and the only I removed wheel is back in place(the whole lot is still sagging lower than my standard H/L KT) I got the last of the dark earth pigment on the running gear and tracks.
As it sits Im happy with the look, but it doesn't function as it should, and its suspension is doughy.

Outside of the mudguards not being fitted(just because I dont like the look) its close to what I reckon the actual tank might have looked like in the time before it was captured as is seen in the well known photos.
Pages 36,37,38,39,40,41 and 42 of Panzer Wrecks 5 show this tank from a lot of angles which is handy.
Near enough I reckon.

Pics when the pigment and white glue mix dries.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... 56018.html

Get some new ones and then keep the tank on blocks or at least raised off its tracks/wheels when not in use.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Lav.
I do have new bars, but to get them in without a full disassembly is a frustrating and difficult task.
I also thing the slots in the arms are worn as well, allowing excessive clearance on the end of the torsion bar giving half the effective travel no pre load at all .
It’s like the rails that hold the bars are backwards or something .

Anyway , the DMD is buggered , the suspension is as sprightly as an 89 year old darts player, but it looks ok !!!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Hmm :(

Not good. It’s a good looking machine, don’t give up now!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Here it is...........got a lot of dark earth pigment on the lower hull to represent the mire that would have been on the actual machine at that time just before capture(well, it would have been if the ugly guards were not on)!!!
Im reasonably happy with its final look, but the functionality is not there yet.
Just got to add rain streaking and a bit of the odd tone down of the exposed primer.
Attachments
P5060010.JPG
P5060009.JPG
P5060007.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Herman,
The tank is Masterful. Realism = Achieved.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Astonishing work. You have absolutely nailed it :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Eastern Front wrote:Herman,

Looks good...
Not sure why you had such problems with the suspension, I have redone a few older ones and was not an issue.. I guess you have to be "used" to the way Tamiya suspension is assembled. I have alot of them (25--ish) so I am quite used to assembly and dis-assembly for sure. I can breeze through a KT or panther suspension assembly in about 15 minutes :D I do question your comment on the actual suspension brackets being installed properly, it does matter. If you need any other references of the "tub" assembly let me know.

Cheers!
Thanks Mr Eastern, I guess practice does make perfect, but as I did not assemble this one it could be that it’s not been right from the get go.
It’s as if the blade rails are not oriented right, but the arm will not twist far enough to allow the blade to slip into the arm before the arm locking luggs come up against the hull side.
I had to twist the blade with pliers and manipulate the arm into the hull at the same time !
No thanks, not a fan
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tamiya Builds”