Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

When doing an inventory of the parts in the Kit, (as you should before starting), I noticed this extra switch. For the life of me, I couldn't work out why I should need it, nor where it should go, since the switch for the DMD Control Unit is hard-wired already into the unit, and acts as the main on/off with for the battery and electronics:
Surplus Tamiya On Off switch
Surplus Tamiya On Off switch
Tamiya on-off switch.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
This has been discussed elsewhere now, but suffice to say that there is no mention of its presence in the kit, nor its function in the build manual :eh: I actually wasted a fair amount of time to find it was actually useless to me anyway.
The presence of two gun barrels in the kit needed no explanation, but still surprised me a little.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Right. here's what the upper hull looks like with the various extras attached. There's not much point describing in detail how it's done, as it's fairly self explanatory. However, it's as well to minimise the amount of glue used fitting bits, as excess glue-bulges can ruin the appearance of the model, and require judicious use of a Tamiya cutting tool later to trim the 'fat' off, so to speak....prior to painting. While Tamiya recommend pre-painting some of the extras before fitting them, i decided to complete the assembly with them, and then prime the whole unit at the same time. After spraying the hull, i'll paint the individual add ons (Hammer, cables etc.,) later.
Here is where the Needle delivery system of the Revell Contacta Pro cement come into it's own (No, they didn't pay me to say that.. :D ). It can put the tiniest amount of cement in the trickiest of locations without overspill. The brush in the Tamiya Cement bottle I have (as with the one in the ABS bottle) is pretty impractical here.
Upper hull assembled- with Charlie Chaplin's approval
Upper hull assembled- with Charlie Chaplin's approval
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:That's not for some kind of switchable charging point is it? I know there is many different battery connectors, maybe it's an old style? When I bought my chargers they came with multiple connectors.
I know Tamiya have set a standard, just a thought.

Mick.
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=23501&p=216001&hi ... ch#p216001
Capt. Midnight came up with a credible answer here on the query thread I posted. Apparently, it provides (via the servo connector) an extra source of power to the old style (pre-BEC) type of RX., Mick. :shifty:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is what the lower hull looks like with the gearboxes and motors fitted. The Tamiya units really do look well made. I did add a blast of PTFE dry lubricant to the gears before installing them. The Boxes sit on computer style standoffs. I imagine that if the same size (or slightly modded) standoffs were used, Taigen boxes could probably be shoehorned in here. I don't think you'd need an engineering degree to achieve that. :thumbup:
Motors and Mechanism deck in place
Motors and Mechanism deck in place
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Upper Hull will be ready for a coat of paint, after the MG is fitted and the Turret too. The MG 3-part arrangement is bonded with 'Rubber Cement'; a product that has an enduring mystery attached to it on many model forums ('Fora-- for public squares..). In the event, I used 'Elmer's' rubber cement to bond the bits. It's a contact adhesive (apply, leave to dry for a few mins, and then press parts to be bonded together). It emerges though, from a query I posted on a thread here, that Tamiya may actually intend the employment of something like this (a CA super glue):
Tamiya product for 'rubber cement' components
Tamiya product for 'rubber cement' components
It's used in this location and elsewhere on the model indicated by the symbol of a blue tube sporting a letter 'G'. Tamiya are quite specific in stipulating its use instead of other cements; but they don't ever explain why. I'm guessing it's for parts that may need to be replaced, or moved, in future:
Parts of MG rewiring 'rubber cement'
Parts of MG rewiring 'rubber cement'
I actually lost the piece of fibre optic cable supplied with the model; the bit that goes down the barrel. Luckily, I'd bought 2 metres of 1mm finer optic cable for my Cromwell project, and I cut a piece of to fit the barrel :thumbup:
Here's what it all looks like when fixed together with Elmer's:
MG glued together
MG glued together
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Time now to fit the electronics package. The Multi-Function unit is bonded to the mechanism deck with a strip of double-sided tape, and then in turn the DMD control unit is bonded to the MF unit with tape. The key process here was to route the cables ergonomically, using ties where appropriate. Then I was able to fit the speaker enclosure.
Routing cables and fitting Control units..
Routing cables and fitting Control units..
This is all a fairly straightforward operation.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Then fitting the Future receiver on the rear plate, whilst arranging cables so that they're tucked away safely from the gears, and won't hinder the turret in any way when its fitted. This was a problem I encountered with my Cromwell build.
Electronics fitted- easy peasy pleasy
Electronics fitted- easy peasy pleasy
I'm so used to having smoke units in my tanks, that I kept looking at the Tamiya's interior with the uncomfortable feeling that I'd missed something out... :S
Looking again, even though the speaker enclosure (which also serves as a mounting point for the Upper Hull..) is massive, and resembles a WW2 coastal bunker. It also takes up a lot of real estate in the interior, but I think there's still room for a Tarr unit in there :problem: .. :think:
The loose wires- one the main power switch- are meant to be connected to the turret. The Power switch is meant to be bonded into an aperture in the back of the Turret floor. I'll go with that for the moment. At a later date, I might find a more convenient location for it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Connecting the wiring between the Turret and the Upper Hull. Note that the turret ring is in the correct position here :D
Turret connections
Turret connections
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Turret is inserted into the upper hull at the 3 o'clock position, where two lugs on the turret pass through matching cutouts in the hull, allowing the Turret to engage with it, after a small twist. This arrangement effectively rules out any possibility of a 360 deg turn arrangement. In fact (no doubt I'll be corrected rapidly if I'm in error.. :lolno: )..it looks as if any turn past 3 o'clock (90 deg.) from 12 (0 deg.), and towards 9 o'clock anticlockwise, could have the effect of allowing the turret to detach, and drop off. :problem: Hmm. This requires testing later.. surely can't be right, can it? :eh:
Fitting turret
Fitting turret
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I'd have to assume that the weight of the turret would guide it past the notches.

It's been an informative read, catching up on this build. Nice to see a step-by-step, by-the-books Tamiya kit; shows exactly what you get for your dosh. Surprising how thin and flimsy some of it seems to be, I'll be interested to see how it fares once it's locked together and running. How do you feel about it thus far, Roy? Does it live up to your expectations?

Return to “Tamiya Builds”