Look what I got! (Lert's Konigstiger)

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Lert
Sergeant

Re: Look what I got! (Lert's Konigstiger)

Post by Lert »

sassgrunt wrote:Did you get the gearbox for it with the tank?
Yes I did, as a separate piece that I forgot to take a picture of. It seems to use a similar 130 class motor as the HL turret-rotation gearbox, so it would probably be worth just using that instead of trying to finagle in a HL turret rotation system.

Ofcourse, that old Tamiya thing will take up a lot more space than a HL system, but the KT is spacious enough to begin with, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for offering help.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

CONGRATS Lert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............looks like a fun project....and it sounds like you are already planning...good for you :D

ALPHA
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Lett have you tried the existing motor /clutch gearbox yet? The reason I asked is that I have an original Tamiya Gepard from the mid 70's that has the same 540 motor clutch unit in, I'm in the process of restoring her and after having sat on the shelf for the last 15 years all it took to get her moving again was to replace the speed controller with a electronic 10 amp unit and a sharp tap on the clutch units to free the clutch plates and she running around the garden again like a spring chicken. I know the existing unit is a bit bullky but they do last and the two units I have, have not given me any trouble up to now ( the other unit is twin 380 motors driving a single gearbox and twin clutches for steering.
Regards Denzil.
opp's you said get off the road
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

I haven't tried it because I lack the parts to try it, and any aftermarket parts I can afford are designed for a two-gearbox system. I'm probably just going to get metal 3:1 downgeared gearboxes and finagle them in. That should give sufficient torque to move this beast and realistic slow-ness.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Lert looking at your pictures the unit looks like its complete. I would put the hull up on some blocks ( so the tracks are free ) and then put a 6v battery across the motor leads and see if they drive. The steering is achieved by a servo pushing or pulling on the tiller arm to stop either one clutch or the other. As I said on my unit the clutches had stuck so I pulled the tiller arm and held it to activate the clutch and then with the motor /tracks running I tapped the clutch and also applied a bit of drag the the track and the clutch came free and repeated the same to the other clutch.
If the clutchs free and work, all you would need is single speed controller and a normal servo for steering
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

hawkeye3guns wrote:... all you would need is single speed controller and a normal servo for steering
... which in turn require a standard R/C receiver, which in turn would require a standard R/C (at least 4-channel) TX, which is beyond my budget - unless I can get one very cheap from someone who is very patient while I build up my finances, after which I would still need to figure out barrel elevation, sound, etc.

I'll go with aftermarket 3:1 gearboxes and HL RX18 system.

I did try the battery thing though, the motor and clutch system work fine.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Lert Sorry for the delay in reply to your last post I have been working away from home, if you are removing the clutch /motor gearbox unit from your tank and replacing them with HL units.
Would you consider selling them to me as a spare unit for my own 2 tanks which I'm still running on the original systems. I live in Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK. if you need to consider P&P.
You could pm me if its a possibility with a price.
Thank you Denzil.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

PM sent.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Has this moved along at all Mr Lert ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Has this moved along at all Mr Lert ?
Oh wow, this thread is a blast from the past.

Yes, it has moved along. There's a 'build' thread here, and it's since then gone back to its original owner for a smol amount of the moneys.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”