King Tiger Restoration.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
MPFIEND
Private

Re: King Tiger Restoration.

Post by MPFIEND »

Good Evening,

As promised, here is the next update.
Some more colouring in, this was again carried out with AK interactive paints.

The Road Wheels, painted and two colour washes applied:

The Drive Sprockets and idlers, these have just been painted so far.

As always all comments,questions and criticisms welcome.

Best Regards

Keith
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Keith,
Apologies, They may be listed under one of the other models like the Panther\Jagdpanther. I last saw them listed there in October of 2013 when I was working on my Panther G and considering adding one. Forgebear is another site to consider. Dave is great at finding things for his customers. All of the thumbs up! Don't forget, they can be built with basic brass tubing, a .5mm or 1mm LED and a 2 pin connector. It's really satisfying when you can build something you need. ;o) Beautiful job on the washes! Solid looking!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jukebox
Lance Corporal

Post by jukebox »

Hi Keith,

RCTank.de have the convoy lights in, look under accessories/Panther G.
Convoy light fitted on Tiger I
Convoy light fitted on Tiger I
DSCF2620.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Steve
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

Painless, thanks for the kind comments.

Jukebox, thanks very much, this looks very interesting. do you know how it will connect to the tamiya electronics?

Best Regards

Keith.
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

Good Evening,

Here is another update, I have now reinstalled the electronic modules and gearboxes back into the lower hull. Most of the cabling has been tidied but a few cables still need to find a home, also I am yet to mount the receiver in it's final place as I have not finished working on the rear hull plate yet.

I have also assembled all of the painted wheels and fitted them to the lower hull along with tracks. The tracks will be removed again so that I can paint and weather them and the lower hull with more ease.
The lower hull has now also had its first test runs to make sure everything is ok, and I'm happy to report that it is.

I have also finished the work on the upper hull so that it is now ready for priming and painting. I have added the fender mounting brackets made from Plasticard strip and filled the screw holes supplied by tamiya. the tools and clamps have all been re attached and the edges of the armour plates have had a flame cut texture added to them.

Lastly I have started work on the Turret and here we see it added just for fun. this really is quite a big tank for 1/16 scale.

As always all comments, welcome.

More soon,

Best Regards

Keith.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

extremly cool roadwheels man :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Keith,
Lots of excellent work done there. The organization of the wiring and the colors of the roadwheels is brilliant. The Tamiya tanks are excellent and amazingly well designed kits. On one like this, there should be a lighting cluster on the DMD that has an unused socket to supply power for lights. You should be able to power your convoy light there with a two pin connector (if you are still going to use one) and use the last channel on your TX (if supplied) to turn it on and off, otherwise it will be on all of the time that the tank is powered up. Apologies for slow replies. 1/1 scale Life has been hectic of late.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Painless, my lady Janet has recently become aware of your approaching nuptials and has told me to offer both her and my congratulations, and if you can last 40 years and 6 months together in a life filled with laughter as we have, you have a lot to look forward too. Jan/Shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jarndice,
Please offer my Well Wishes and Thanks to your Lady. The Mate and I got married a year ago come Saturday and promised ourselves a nice Honeymoon a year's hence since at the time we were both duty bound to our careers and had little time for peace and quiet after the event. We had been together for 10 years prior and had both decided that 10 years was plenty of time to get to know each other (and to do separate taxes ;o)
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
MPFIEND
Private

Post by MPFIEND »

maxmekker wrote:extremly cool roadwheels man :thumbup:
Max, Thanks very much.
PainlessWolf wrote:Keith,
Lots of excellent work done there. The organization of the wiring and the colors of the roadwheels is brilliant. The Tamiya tanks are excellent and amazingly well designed kits. On one like this, there should be a lighting cluster on the DMD that has an unused socket to supply power for lights. You should be able to power your convoy light there with a two pin connector (if you are still going to use one) and use the last channel on your TX (if supplied) to turn it on and off, otherwise it will be on all of the time that the tank is powered up. Apologies for slow replies. 1/1 scale Life has been hectic of late.
regards,
Painless
Painless thanks for the information, I'll do some more digging.

more soon,

Best Regards

Keith

Return to “Tamiya Builds”