Tamiya Panther restoration questions

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya Panther restoration questions

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
if Tamiya recoils, check that nothing to loosen the interior turret, mechanical assembly fixing. Or is it at the level of a significant play at the level of the camon sliding?
for engines, see different posts on this forum, some members have replaced Tam. engines with other types,
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Hi. The Tamiya Panther is well known for its barrel wobble. Very loose fit into the mantlet. I am 2/3rds the way in building the same tank and I bought a turned metal barrel sleeve that slips into in the mantlet and take up a lot of the slack between the mantlet and the barrel .This is made by Daryl Turner for this problem and I ordered this from E.T.O armor who deals with Daryl. Excellent part. You will not find this on the parts they sell, you will have to request to order one. As to the parts you need A.A.F tank museum has them in stock. Gun barrel lock, spare track holder brackets and headlight [F sprue] Barrel cleaning tube[E sprue] and sprocket covers x 2.You could buy and build Abers photo etch cleaning rod holder. The stock transmissions will be more than ample to run the tank outside.Is there a problem with them!. There is another company in Germany apart from Axles that has a great selection of spare parts for Tamiya tanks but they will only ship within Germany. Shame. Tamiya have stopped producing the Panther so the price of a new kit only keeps going up on E bay. Hope this has been of help. Regards John. :thumbup:
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Just realized that you don't need the track holder brackets but it is the tracks you are missing.With a Tamiya the spare tracks just glue on each side and locate by the small holes cast in the track holder brackets. Search on this site for assembly manuals or Goggle it and you will find how your tank went together if you did not get the assembly manual when you bought it. I have some tracks.What country are you in.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
without wanting to upset John, I have this in my documents, should I be able to help?
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Takes a lot to upset me. John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

The sleeve that Daryl Turner made for the earliest Tamiya Panthers is no longer available. To the best of my knowledge, Tamiya fixed that foible early in the production run. Both my later Panthers do not have the sleeve and work well with no wobble. It is also possible to stop the early mantlet wobble by simply putting in four ultra thin slips of plastic card. One does have to be careful with this app and one might have to lightly sand down the strips by microns once installed for proper motion of the recoil.

I do make a set of Etoarmor transmissions for the Panther/Jagdpanther:
https://etoarmor.com/?product=s03-eto-h ... ansmission

However, with the confiscatory prices of US Post to UK and the 'new' enforcement of VAT etc, one wonders if it's financially viable to ship to UK from US, let alone the current positively glacial speed of US Post. I plan on 2 to 3 MONTHS transit of parcels coming from Europe and close to likewise going to Europe. Same-same for UK I would think.
Jagdpantherx
Recruit

Post by Jagdpantherx »

I printed a Panther F turret and next is the design of mechanical parts.

I am looking for dimensions/cad drawings of Tamiya Panther turret ring gear.

Can anyone help?
Attachments
turret1.jpg
turret1.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
turret2.jpg
turret2.jpg (84.03 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jagdpantherx wrote:I printed a Panther F turret and next is the design of mechanical parts.

I am looking for dimensions/cad drawings of Tamiya Panther turret ring gear.

Can anyone help?
You have them there. All you have to do is unscrew the vent on the rear of the engine deck, that holds the upper hull in place, and slip it backwards off the lower hull. Or, simply turn the turret through 120 degrees, or so, left or right (assuming the barrel is facing directly forwards), and carefully lift the turret out of the two slots used to fit it.
There's probably a Tamiya Panther PDF. manual available in the Downloads section here.

edit. yes, having just checked, there is a Tamiya Panther manual in 'Downloads'. 'Downloads' is at the end of the top main menu bar. It should help.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”