"Zorn" Panzer IV, 1951

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: "Zorn" Panzer IV, 1951

Post by Jimster »

A splendid display of fine details being highlighted by realistic painting. The wiring for the headphones is a really nice touch.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I do like the AA fix on your PZ4, :thumbup:
Years ago Painless and I got into a discussion about the rights and wrongs of AA mounts on Tiger 1 earlies,
We came to the conclusion that while the literature said NO !!! that there were too many photos showing Tiger 1 earlies with a Cupola mounted MG34 that they must be field mods,(Shades of Turret mounted Jerry cans :haha: )
I do not like the fiddly assembly of the Schumo Mounting, I have lost count of the number of PIN Vice drill bits I have blunted/broken but when it is assembled correctly it clips over the cupola rim and looks just right and so I built up an MG34 on a Schumo mount for my Tunisian Tiger but whenever know it all mates come around I switch it for a weaponless cupola :lolno:
I have a Cupola mounted MG34 on a PZ4 AusF G but I am reluctant to fit one on an H or a J as the Turret gets cluttered up with the Shurtsen turret armour.I did once think of fitting an AA gun-sight but the Photo-etch was too expensive so I never bothered.Glad that you did it looks just great.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hey, yeah, the AA fix is a great add. I had to fit it because a local friend of mine is getting an IL2 Sturmovik in 1/16, and then I realized my AA counter measures are... scarce. An old rusty flak and that's it! So yeah, I asked my friend Charly to create it for me so I can fit it in all my tanks.

I can't stand with the photo etched parts. They are always over expensive, and way too complicated for me to use. I have massive hands and I just cannot work with them and superglue, so I avoid the use of those parts like the plague, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thats an intense picture Mr Rad.
Huge amount of pressure on the tank commander and his crew all etched on his face, model or not, it looks like the man has to make decisions that might end up costing lives, preferably from his and his crews point of view, someone else's :think:
Great work and very well photographed.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hey, yeah, the AA fix is a great add. I had to fit it because a local friend of mine is getting an IL2 Sturmovik in 1/16, and then I realized my AA counter measures are... scarce. An old rusty flak and that's it! So yeah, I asked my friend Charly to create it for me so I can fit it in all my tanks.

I can't stand with the photo etched parts. They are always over expensive, and way too complicated for me to use. I have massive hands and I just cannot work with them and superglue, so I avoid the use of those parts like the plague, lol.
A very atmospheric photo, Rad, and the gunsight- oddly enough- helps us to focus on it with greater clarity. :clap:
It ticks all the right boxes, and some that haven't even been invented yet :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I had not seen your photos until now as you revived the thread, Rad. Those are outstanding. For all the reasons others have indicated above, my favorites are the third and fourth down on page three and the one above here of the new AA sight. Well done, jammies and all! It's too bad someone else wasn't using a camera that morning. :haha: :P
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: I can't stand with the photo etched parts. They are always over expensive, and way too complicated for me to use. I have massive hands and I just cannot work with them and superglue, so I avoid the use of those parts like the plague, lol.
I'm glad I'm not the only one - in my youth (60 or so years ago!) I used to build 1/72 models, but no longer. Recently I built the Aber fire extinguisher for my Tiger, and even with average hands, it nearly drove me insane. I'm living proof that eyesight and dexterity don't improve with age. I have some 00-gauge model railway stuff, and with less room available I was thinking of going to N-gauge until someone suggested that I should stick with things I could actually see...
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I was afraid it was gonna happen, and it happened.

With about 30 hours of use over mostly clean and flat surfaces, the suspension of the Panzer IV is showing worn, there is no way to fix it, and no way to find affordable replacement parts.
photo_2022-03-21_08-12-46.jpg
photo_2022-03-20_20-55-56.jpg
As you can see, all the outer wheels are not touching the track. I can loosely fit an xacto knife between tire and track. The tracks were worn in the internal area so I swaped them, but still does not help. Of course with time this will go from bad to worse until is undriveable.

Sometimes I believe I am in the wrong hobby and I should be doing children coloring books. :thumbdown:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Update here. I removed and sold my Elmod fusion pro and finished the Beier installation in my PIV. I created the motor sounds myself, I am very pleased with the huge sound quality difference and the control improvement.
It was late so I decided to do a video in darkness. Pity the phone camera is pretty poor, because the light beam is very visible. Id say several meters when using the long beam headlight.
Anyway, it was fun to make a night patrol in my small diorama.

phpBB [video]

The only thing that keeps me sad is that suspension wear :(((((
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent production. The sound, lighting and precise movement is fantastic. I need to get busy installing my board!

Return to “Tamiya Builds”