Jagdpanther build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Excellent progress so far, Lord P :clap: I wouldn't worry about the caffeine-induced 'rambling'. The more detail given, the better- I think :thumbup: That way, we can all learn from your triumphs and problem-solving issues, and maybe make helpful suggestions. So... get the Cafetiere out! :thumbup: That reminds me- it's time for a LaVazza Colombian brew! :D
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby Soeren » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Great progress :thumbup:

You can actually find the manual PDFs online. Just have a search on the internet. For an even more convincing look of the hull texture you can sand you current stage down a bit and of too subtle after that layer another coat of mr surfaced on.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby LordPanzer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Soeren wrote:Great progress

You can actually find the manual PDFs online. Just have a search on the internet. For an even more convincing look of the hull texture you can sand you current stage down a bit and of too subtle after that layer another coat of mr surfaced on.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Thanks ! After a few coats of paint should tone it down a bit and not be as noticeable. I had looked for PDF but I guess not hard enough. I was missing one rear idler wheel and arm. And the way Tamiya sells their replacement parts was a bit misleading in description and on my part as well. Each item was sold separately. Out/inner idler wheel, shaft and arm. All separately. Oh well. Live, learn and move on! Now considering a Henntec idler. Lol. The rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
LordPanzer
Private

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Following along LordP, nice work, looking for some tips for my own JP build :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby LordPanzer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Waiting on a few final pieces from over the pond to arrive but the shadow coat is out of the way! A planned coat of Rotbraum will go on this weekend followed by a clear coat to lock it in. I have an idea of camo scheme in mind but will commit to that once rear hatch and final pieces arrive.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekends !

Cheers ! ImageImage

LordPanzer
Private

Postby LordPanzer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:37 am

So since I had some extra paint and time I thought I would try alittle side by side comparison. Since the red will then be painted over with at least one or possibly two colors of paint in a camo scheme it may also add some slight color modulation and work in my favor.

Mig version of RAL 8012 Rotbraum and AK Rotbraum. Wow really seem like a rivet counter now comparing 2 shades of red undercoat. :)

The right side of the JP was sprayed with a light coat along with the front plate with the AK paint. Sprayed at 22psi it sprayed very nice and smooth with no issues.

The left side, roof and back deck were sprayed with the Mig paint out of the same brush at the same PSI. Felt it did not flow as smooth out of the bottle as the AK paint.

You can see a slight difference in color as the AK is a touch lighter with a very flat finish. The Mig a darker color with maybe you could say a very dull semi gloss or dull satin finish.

Certainly splitting hairs here with this but thought I'd show you all nonetheless.

Happy Tanking !ImageImageImage

LordPanzer
Private

Postby LordPanzer » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Weekends progress on my JP. Still have some touch up on the chipping as some seems a bit out of scale. Use Maskol under each layer of paint for the 1st time. I like the process which gives some authentic layered chipping effect. Still need to address the rear exhaust area for paint and attach the tools, rear hatch and few little items. Moving right along! Thanks for following....ImageImageImage

LordPanzer
Private

Postby wibblywobbly » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Looking good, there is something about Jagdpanthers that appeals to me, I am planning to get another, I should never have sold the one I had. :O
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pm

Excellent job, what base dunklegelb did you use ? its real nice.
Hard to believe its the same tank as the poor day-one tragedy 8O
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Very interesting. I also like the lighting you use the model before taking photos of it. It makes for very crisp and detailed pics. :thumbup: I also liked the shade of red undercoat you applied to the model.
So much so, in fact, I might have been inclined to leave it like that. The story then would be, that it was one of the last production models, found in the factory by the British (like the example completed at British behest, and now resident in the Bovington Museum)
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby Soeren » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 am

Great result. :thumbup:
Soeren

Postby Ad Lav » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:15 pm

wibblywobbly wrote:Looking good, there is something about Jagdpanthers that appeals to me, I am planning to get another, I should never have sold the one I had. :O

Ditto! Might have to buy another one...

Good work Mr :)
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:17 pm

What an awesome Jagdpanther :clap: Very well done :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Postby LordPanzer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. Been a long week with work and life. Had some time last night and this morning to finish off the last of the painting and chipping. Next up to reinstall the barrel and then to start the long weathering process. 90% of the paint i used on the JD except for some of the chipping, tools and fire extinguisher where from this AK box set. The red undercoat, lighter of Dunkelgelb and lighter green all from the box. No mixing necessary just right out of my trusty Iwata.

Maybe this could be a topic for another thread altogether, but one work station and lighting? I have a basic workbench in my garage that I do everything on. An Amazon air compressor with moisture trap, an old cardboard box as a makeshift spray booth, 2 fans off to the left side to keep the air moving. Storage shelving units which I keep some painting supplies along with other normal things found in a garage. As far as lighting i have 2 normal bulbs in the ceiling in the center of the garage, a LED 30inch light which hangs over the bench and for some fun accent lighting LED strip lighting that i picked up off Amazon to light up the shelves. The camera I use for pics with my Samsung galaxy s10 cell phone. :)

Thanks for following along on the project with me. ImageImage

LordPanzer
Private

Postby maxmekker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:24 pm

Great tread and the color scheme is just :thumbup:
maxmekker

Postby Ad Lav » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:48 am

Well done, great Looking JP and colours work well!
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:12 am

Ive got that paint set, but have not put it to the test over time.
The green you used looked too light to me in the bottle, but seeing it on a tank seems to make it right.
I really like what you've done & more so due to the sad sloppy mess you began with on page 1 !!
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby LordPanzer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:28 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ive got that paint set, but have not put it to the test over time.
The green you used looked too light to me in the bottle, but seeing it on a tank seems to make it right.
I really like what you've done & more so due to the sad sloppy mess you began with on page 1 !!
Thank you Herman. I think the red oxide underneath and chipping helped the color over all. I still have weathering and washes to add which will tone it down and darken some.

LordPanzer
Private

Postby FredtheFrench » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm

I love your Jagdpanther, and I m impatient to see end of camo scheme...
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Postby LordPanzer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:38 am

Good evening folks! It's been a little while since my last update on my Jagdpanther build. Just to share a few of the little things I've done this past week. I'm coming down to the end of this build and still have a few little weathering touch ups left to fiddle with, a PE screen which is still on order and a nice speaker upgrade!

The two hatches on the top of the casemate. I added a simple styrene platform for a crew member to sit on with some double sided tape to hold him in place during battle. Although I've thought about using magnets to keep him secure. Maybe in the future. Since I removed the DMD and sold the apple base with it I picked up a 3D printed apple base and installed in the same hatch. I did cut a small notch in the top of the apple base to allow the hatch to close flush when not battling.

The LED MG I got to replace the plastic static Tamiya one needed to be trimmed down maybe 1/4 inch and the hull MG mount trimmed to give enough room to allow the main gun to move with enough clearance form side to side to achieve full traverse.

Thanks for checking in and following along !
ImageImageImageImageImage

LordPanzer
Private

Previous

Return to Tamiya Builds