Jagdpanther build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!

Postby Soeren » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm

http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/In16_015_.pdf

You can use all the parts for the rear plate, the engine deck, and the sides.

Taht is about 80% of the set.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby LordPanzer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks ! Once it's laid out like that it doesn't look so intimidating. Maybe I will take a leap and try this 1st hand on this build. Like I mentioned earlier the only experience I really have is just with engine grill decks. Is there any special process or tools in which you are using to bend and shape these parts? I'm assuming your basic CA hobby glue is what your attaching this with?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby Ad Lav » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 pm

Good find and a good subject! Loved mine - it’s in Joes capable hands now.

Build here if you want ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24219&hilit=1946+jagdpanther
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby LordPanzer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Ad Lav wrote:Good find and a good subject! Loved mine - it’s in Joes capable hands now.

Build here if you want ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24219&hilit=1946+jagdpanther
Wow. What a build!! Just took my time and went back in between work calls and read the whole thread. Certainly will refer back to this in the future. I like what you did in doing a 46 "what if" camo paint scheme. Lots of added detail there to ! Its hard being here in the US and me justifying spending very high shipping costs out of Germany on those tiny detail bits right now. Maybe once covid has moved on shipping will be lower. But they sure do finish off a project nicely. My Panther F is that style of 46 "what if" and in my mind very very cool looking. Will put a thread together one day to show that off with a parts lift to. Waiting on one or two more parts for that as well. Still rolling around what color and style paint I will finish this JP off in. Did you build the radio box and anti aircraft deck armor yourself? Funny because I've emailed Battleground a few times about the IR setups this week. Will be nice to have a few of those on hand. The last set I got was from Asiatam and was pricy with shipping. Thanks for sharing.

LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby Ad Lav » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 am

Radio box is from Ludwigs in Germany and same with the deck armour. Highly recommended.

If you wait until you need a whole bunch of stuff, get it sent all at once. Or failing that get it sent to the U.K. and then to the USA. Might not work out cheaper though.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby Soeren » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:33 am

LordPanzer wrote:Thanks ! Once it's laid out like that it doesn't look so intimidating. Maybe I will take a leap and try this 1st hand on this build. Like I mentioned earlier the only experience I really have is just with engine grill decks. Is there any special process or tools in which you are using to bend and shape these parts? I'm assuming your basic CA hobby glue is what your attaching this with?

Basically you bend the parts with pliers, tweezers or special PE bending tools. Multi piece parts are best soldered together. Then you attach them with special CA (that is flexible, there are hobby products available for some time now). You can always reinforce the part by soldering a small piece of wire to the back of the part, drill a whole and glue it in.
Soeren

Postby LordPanzer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Well I'm glad my wife did not have to witness the mess I made in the kitchen this weekend. Used 2 rounds spray on oven cleaner letting it sit for 3 hours and then 8 hours. Had in inside plastic bags and inside a cardboard box in the garage. Not sure if that had any extra affect on the outcome but it did contain it. Then used hot water, a stiff kitchen brush and a good bit of elbow grease to remove the caked on paint. Cleaned and oiled the gears and tested. The DMD is in good working order. Although I think I'm going to sell and use a spare Clark TK80 I have in another tank that I really don't use. So up next is some detail texture work and then to sort out wiring.
Thats for following. ImageImage

LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby Soeren » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Great job. That should give you a good starting point now.
Soeren

Postby Max-U52 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am

Has anyone tried mating that servo recoil/traverse unit to a Heng Long upper hull?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby LordPanzer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 am

Body stripped and sanded. Added texture, flame cuts and weld seams. Was able to save and reattach the photo eche to. Didn't do anything yet with the back side of the casemate as I'm missing the rear hatch, front head lamp and antenna base. Still sorting that out but will be easy to add later. Also I'm thinking of a radio box will be added. Upper section ready for primer paint then onto lower hull and road wheels :)ImageImage

LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby Soeren » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:28 pm

Hey there, you have a great progress with your model. I like those trch cur marks and your weld seams.

Did you decide to go with the ABER PE? Looking at the engine deck, you get some parts to simply improve the overall section. As you are going to put a lot of work into your model (at least it already looks like that to me), you really wanna approach those details to not feel sorry in the end. That relates to the hooks on the engine hatch panel that should face outwards and the knobs on the other panels that actually should be outward facing hooks too. Or the double knobs at the back end, that should be small frames with pins securing the pulley cables and of course the track hangers. Or those thow squares on the engine door that should be rectangular shaped strips of metal, where the cadsemate door would sit onm when opened. Easy fixes at the current stage of your build.

Here is a quick picture of my G2 JP, so just ignore all the tools on the back deck.
Soeren

Postby LordPanzer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Soeren wrote:Hey there, you have a great progress with your model. I like those trch cur marks and your weld seams.

Did you decide to go with the ABER PE? Looking at the engine deck, you get some parts to simply improve the overall section. As you are going to put a lot of work into your model (at least it already looks like that to me), you really wanna approach those details to not feel sorry in the end. That relates to the hooks on the engine hatch panel that should face outwards and the knobs on the other panels that actually should be outward facing hooks too. Or the double knobs at the back end, that should be small frames with pins securing the pulley cables and of course the track hangers. Or those thow squares on the engine door that should be rectangular shaped strips of metal, where the cadsemate door would sit onm when opened. Easy fixes at the current stage of your build.

Here is a quick picture of my G2 JP, so just ignore all the tools on the back deck.
Thanks ! I have not decided if of which PE set I would go with. I've never used a PE set up until this point. Not against adding any either. Which PE tools could you recommend that add to ease bending and forming small pieces. I do have track hangers currently in shipment. And need to remove that is currently there. And thank you fot pointing out the deck hooks. The pervious owner had placed in the wrong direction and did not notice. :) I have looked online for reference photos and have yet to see a JP with the tube mounted across the rear deck like yours. ( I really like the look). That your own idea? Also considering side aprons, radio box and paint camo schemes.

LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby B_Man » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 am

Has anyone here used the Voyager photo etch kit? It's much cheaper so I'm curious as to what the quality is like and if it's missing anything the Aber set has?
B_Man
Corporal

Postby Soeren » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:42 am

You can start on PE just with plier and tweezers. If you are fancy you can order a PE bending tool. But that is not needed for most of the parts.

@B.Man
I got the Voyager PE set and wouldn’t buy it again. They seem to use 0.2 and 0.25 mm brass sheet and that is too thin. So you would have to add some material to get to the proper scale thickness. Too much additional work if you ask me.
Soeren

Postby tankme » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am

I just started doing PE in the past year and most parts can be bent without special tools, but I did end up buying a PE tool for longer bends. I actually have stopped trying to solder it with my soldering iron. I have a heat gun with small tips that gets hot enough to melt solder. I use paste solder, flux, and the heat gun for most of my soldering of PE now. Works great for me.

tankme
Lance Corporal

Postby Soeren » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am

Add on info. The voyager stowage box set and the fender set is alright. Just the general detail set is not comparable to the ABER kit.
Soeren

Postby LordPanzer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Soeren wrote:Add on info. The voyager stowage box set and the fender set is alright. Just the general detail set is not comparable to the ABER kit.
Order the Aber kit this morning :)

LordPanzer
Recruit

Postby Soeren » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Great, I am sure you won’t regret this. Just take your time and you should get nice results.
Soeren

Previous

Return to Tamiya Builds