Tamiya Jagdpanther overhaul and new transmission

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 am

Good evening,
The children are looking Grand as usual, my friend! The tank rebuild is a beauty as well. Things are well here in the fastness of our mountain den. An extra young pup makes three now. Not enough time to build all I want but in a very few years, hopefully.
with all regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby sevoblast » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks, Painless. All is well here, too. Our addition is not young, the owners of Allyeesya's brother decided, after almost 13 years, that they didn't want him anymore and if we did not take him back they would turn him out. Needless to say, he came home. 'Two legs' can be cruel, Ruslan is a very gentle boy who fit in with his sisters and nieces instantly and seamlessly.

I hope this weekend to get on the Jagdpanther again. The wheels are Wecohe and as such were designed for the Wecohe Panther which used Tamiya Tiger 1 suspension arms. I've got to do a little lathe work on the inside of them to fit the Panther arms, plus I want to install bearings. I'm going to use slightly modified Tamiya KT wheel inserts, the cast 'metal' ones that came with the Wecohe set are...ummm....not quite up to snuff, they are simply poorly cast copies of Tamiya.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Postby Ad Lav » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:14 pm

The king tiger inserts are quite good, and light. That’s what I used on mine.

If only there was a cheap ish alternative for late wheels for Tigers and Panthers!
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby sevoblast » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Yup, and simple to use, just cut off the studs on the back, smooth to taste and put them on. Works for me, but the fun is going to be making the hubs for the narrow wheels. Outer wheels are no big problem, a simple plastic disc with a rare earth magnet will do the trick, methinks.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Previous

Return to Tamiya Builds