My Panther G Build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: My Panther G Build

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Thanks for that link. Exactly my problem, and it looks like an ideal solution. I'm fairly sure I've got some brass tubing somewhere. If not, it is a small price to pay to strengthen everything up.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

silversurfer1947 wrote: 1. Despite shortening the tracks by the number of links as stated in the instructions, they are still too long - so long in fact that the drive sprockets rotated quite happily without locking into the track. This should be fairly easy to resolve.
I was wrong again. I have not spent much time recently on the Panther, having been rather preoccupied with my Panzer III. However, I took another link out of the track and it made absolutely no difference. For some reason, the drive sprocket will not engage properly with the tracks. The first time I have had a problem with something not fitting properly on a Tamiya kit. Hopefully this photo will show the problem.
20170324_143840.jpg
20170324_143840.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
I am wondering whether I have got something wrong. Is it possible that the coats of paint on the sprocket wheels are the cause? Could I have got the tracks on the wrong sides? All and any suggestions welcome. I really don't fancy having to modify all the sprocket holes in the tracks.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Mine did this - I needed new sprockets!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Just looking at it there appears to be a mismatch between the track and the sprocket, the sprocket teeth look too wide and possibly the distance between the sprockets also looks wrong. It's hard to tell from a photo but definitely there is something seriously wrong there.

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Anyone know where I can get proper sprockets that will fit?
Richard
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Email axels modellbau.

Where did you buy it from?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Came from axels! Had it for quite a while though.
Richard
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Email him - send him the photos and say the sprockets do not mesh.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thanks, Adam. I will get it done tomorrow.
Richard
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Silversurfer where did you find those lovely ammo belts for the MG?
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”