Tunisian tiger "norbert" build

tomhugill
Captain

Tunisian tiger "norbert" build

Post by tomhugill »

Having been made an offer I couldn't refuse for the previous early tiger I had just completed I have managed to snaffle a bargain tamiya tiger off eBay, £170 with battery's, 6ch tx/rx and chargers. It was described as being 10 years old so I was expecting the old tus. However I was pleasantly surprised by the modern ones that it actually came with.

Some small tinkering was required, the fella couldn't get the recoil working (I suspecet because of the digital trims on the tx) and when I got it going the recoil was very sticky which can break the mfu. Some bending and grinding was required but it's all working.

I also looks like its sitting down very slightly on its suspension so I might replace the torsion bars with the new ones I got with the previous tiger I built.

Pictures and a vid to follow!
Last edited by tomhugill on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Here I go again (early tiger)

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
Congratulations, Tom! Always a pleasure to follow a Build of yours. Awaiting the visuals.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:clap: :clap: Can't wait for the classes to begin. :thumbup:

Sounds like you got a super deal on that Tiger... :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I wish you had posted the work on the recoil... never worked on one before...is it difficult clearance wise?

ALPHA
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Alpha, it was pretty much squaring up the brackets that where already there and using a dremel to slightly expand the highlighted section:

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Well I have broken my newly imposed golden rule of not having more than one build on the go (I guess this build predates that rule!!). Any way I have decided this tiger is going to become a tunisia initial tiger; inspired by some of the recent builds.

To this end I have ordered the tamiya K sprue from axles, in addition I will be using some of the photo etch from the voyger set, new schumo headlights, aber 2m ariel etc.

Heres some pictures of the destruction to date; removed the mantlet, existing headlights (these will be relocated as per the field modifications). I've removed the original air filters and the exhaust covers.

Something I need to locate is checker plate to make the early pattern front fenders. If anyone knows where I can get this let me know!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Tom Nice buy ,now all I have to say is 131

regards pete
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Cheers Pete! 131 would definitely be easiest the k sprue doesn't give you the funky square squarish exhaust covers. But I'm sure they would be possible to scratch them.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi I think Dave has them in photo etch parts .Best to check with him .

regards pete
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Some more progress today, assembled the hatches; k sprue detail is very nice!! Also finally used my high detail schumo 2m ariel and base. I've also assembled the air filters and cleaned up the rear plate. I've got to research further if these tigers had the mounts for the s mine launchers.

Return to “Tiger I”