Aec Matador build.

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Aec Matador build.

Post by midlife306 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thanks for your rapid reply, Model Builder. Here on RCTW I have seen discussions of the WPL springs. I have a few of the WPL trucks, and I keep trying to store information in my numbskull :eh: in case someday a kit shows up to fit the chassis with a WWII vintage Deuce-and-a-Half.

Now "if I were a rich man" :'( I would pay you an outrageous amount to make me an Aec Matador and a GMC CCKW. :P
Tiger6 Martin is the guy to contact is you want a CCKW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Technically that is correct professor, the original heng long and wpl driveshaft setup would still work in a fixed state as there is a limited amount of movement from the leaf springs.
That makes sense - my Play Dirty truck is so short that the drive shafts almost sit at 45 deg.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thanks for your rapid reply, Model Builder. Here on RCTW I have seen discussions of the WPL springs. I have a few of the WPL trucks, and I keep trying to store information in my numbskull :eh: in case someday a kit shows up to fit the chassis with a WWII vintage Deuce-and-a-Half.

Now "if I were a rich man" :'( I would pay you an outrageous amount to make me an Aec Matador and a GMC CCKW. :P
If I were a rich man professor I would retire and build models all day :haha: :thumbup:

by Sub » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi,
That is one awesome truck, very atmospheric and beutifully executed.
Regards.
Sub.
Thanks sub :D I do try and add a little bit of a story into my models, I enjoy making all the extra bits and pieces that help bring the model to life as much as doing the model itself :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

by Estnische » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Model Builder 4 wrote:Technically that is correct professor, the original heng long and wpl driveshaft setup would still work in a fixed state as there is a limited amount of movement from the leaf springs.

That makes sense - my Play Dirty truck is so short that the drive shafts almost sit at 45 deg.

Estnische
That is another problem that I have come across, I hit this snag while doing my Morris quad tractor ( FAT ) the wheel base was so short that it was impossible to make it 4x4 so I opted for just going with a front wheel drive setup and moved the motor further back from the axle to give the greater distance needed. The issue with having such short driveshafts at a very steep angle is that they still need to be able to turn smoothly otherwise it will affect the drive system with possible notching and jamming. There are plenty of mods and fixes that can be done to these chassis and they have been the bases for most of my vehicle builds since they have become available :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Tiger6 Martin is the guy to contact is you want a CCKW." Uh-oh! Thanks a lot Midlife. Now I'm really in trouble. Hmm... how long would an old guy be sentenced for bank robbery? May I take my toys with me?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

The troops have all now received their base coat, details next Image

Cheers, Lee.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »