An elusive socket.

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
jarndice
Colonel

An elusive socket.

Post by jarndice »

On the extreme rear of the roof of the FY004 6 wheeler is a small oblong socket and on the underside is a cable leading from it which plugs into the trucks MFU ,
A simple question what does this socket service ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: An elusive socket.

Post by Estnische »

Is it not the FVP camera socket?

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Good heavens, :crazy: Given the next 50 years to work through what might go into that socket and I still would not think of that,
My imagination pondered with a flashing beacon or similar devises but never a camera.
Thank you,
Well at least that's a bit of money saved coz no way would I buy that monstrosity :haha:
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

LOL - me too. However it could be hidden in the rear canopy if ground level FPV videos were your thing.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Easy to move and it is for the fvp camera. I have one, but it does look awful in that position.
It also sucks the life out of the battery
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Another question :yawn: Just about all the steering servos I have come across feed a three pin socket on an MFU but this is a four pin !!!
I was going to swap the servo anyway but why does this trucks steering servo have a four pin plug in the first place ???

EDIT, Can anyone recommend a particular ESC most suited to the upgraded MFU ???
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jarndice wrote:Another question :yawn: Just about all the steering servos I have come across feed a three pin socket on an MFU but this is a four pin !!!
I was going to swap the servo anyway but why does this trucks steering servo have a four pin plug in the first place ???

EDIT, Can anyone recommend a particular ESC most suited to the upgraded MFU ???
I tend to use the 160aor 320a chinese esc on ebay. They are approx £10. The smaller 20a esc that are red and tiny are a little under powered for these trucks. Plus the bec is variable and therefore makes servo chatter sometimes. The esc I use tend to be overkill and I have never cooked one yet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESC-RC-Car-B ... SwNZFfIFH5
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That's most helpful Will,
Thank you and thanks for the link.
I looked at the pictures and thought it would be a bit too big but unlike too many r/c equipment vendors who leave you to guess how big or small something is the helpful attached dimensions show it to be a comfortable fit.
I shall get my order in asap.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Will thanks for posting the ESC i have been using the small ones and your right the servos do twitch ,will be getting some of the ones you posted, it may cure a problem i am having with a trailer which has servo twitch.

regards pete
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

jarndice wrote:Another question :yawn: Just about all the steering servos I have come across feed a three pin socket on an MFU but this is a four pin !!!
If a three pin consists of +ve, -ve and signal, the fourth one must be something else - I am guessing completely from a Google search, but perhaps it is part of the steering trim, taking a signal back to the MFU?

Here is what I found on RCU:
The 4 wire servo has two motor leads and two potentiometer leads. There is no internal servo circuit. Positioning was handled by the integrated ESC/receiver.

A 3 wire servo has a ground, +5v, and a signal wire. There is a circuit board inside to handle positioning the servo shaft.
Oh joy! I was hoping to re-use the steering servo when I get mine and modify it.

Or maybe Fayee had a truckload of four lead DuPont connectors they needed to use and the foreman said "just leave the fourth wire unconnected".

Rad, are you out there?

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”