The M-35 Tank Transporter

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

The M-35 Tank Transporter

Post by Max-U52 »

Not too long ago a friend asked me to build him something to haul his Sherman around, and this is the result. Oh yeah, I don't know if I'm a bit dyslexic (or just odd) but I'm always saying axle when I mean driveshaft. Go figger.

Part of the whole project was to put something together that any of our members could easily build, if they had a mind to. There are a lot more upgrades available than what was used here, but we covered some of the better ones. The new electronics package for $40 is pretty impressive, IMHO, and it will be even better in the tanker truck and any other vehicle that doesn't have to haul so much weight. I'm not sure if this board will be suitable for a heavy tank, but I did put the 14 pound JS-2 up there and she hauled it pretty good.

I'm not sure what went wrong with this next photo, but it looks like the right side of the windscreen is taller than the left, and it's not really. I must have been holding the camera funny or something.

And of course there's video. :/

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And this is an earlier test with the all metal JS-2 (about 14 pounds) and she held her own pretty well. You have to know the limitations of the board, but if I were to swap in a 20 amp ESC and a new sound system it would haul it like a champ on the two speed tranny.

phpBB [video]

If anyone would like to build one of these I'm willing to help. It wasn't all that difficult a build, I'd call it a 7 on a scale of one to ten. There are a few bits that aren't available off the shelf, but like I said, I'm willing to help.

:wave: :wave: :wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: The M-35 Tank Transporter

Post by Max-U52 »

Here's a trailer at a decent price in the UK, until you add shipping, but if you're close you might be able to do local pick-up and save the loot. Then it would be less than I paid for mine, but you still need a dolly. Maybe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUDER-LOW-LOA ... 4082539439
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Max,
It looks great! Solid and dependable looking Build. Some serious thought went into that ramp setup I can tell. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks, Painless, I actually copied the worm gear idea from another fella right here on the forum. It looked like it worked pretty good on his dragon wagon so I thought I'd give it a try. I built this one for a friend, but I'm going to do another one for myself except that I'm going to use a different truck. I'm going to take a GAZ and turn it into a little bobtail yard truck, kind of like they use to move trailers around the motor pool.
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hiya MAX

Thanks for the vids and the explanations...
really enjoyed
And quite inspirational..

Thank you !!!!!

Iain
Last edited by mcevoyi on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xhelfix
Lance Corporal

Post by xhelfix »

Hey,

that looks good!
And i think the bruder one is a fine base to work with :thumbup:
We had also one running in german service, behind an Famo of a friend.

And jes, the ramps work pretty well in this technik,.....maybe a bit fast...but cool!
I also think that this function detais have a lot of fun on the playground..... :clap:

Thanks for sharing the videos and picture.

Greetz, Andy
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

With the Famo you must have used the dolly, and I'l bet it did a great job. I should hook this one behind my M-16 halftrack and see if it will pull it. 8)
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Now that's a good friend! Wanna be mine? :haha:

Seriuoulsy, awesome build, looks great, and the functions are amazing
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Glad you liked it. It will also haul a Pershing, but it doesn't fit quite as well as the Sherman.
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

That was one of the problems with the Pershing, so extra realism points!

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”