narrowing front axle

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Dragon245
Corporal

narrowing front axle

Post by Dragon245 »

has anyone successfully narrowed the front WPL axle ???
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: narrowing front axle

Post by Tiger6 »

Narrowed the axle how? I cut about 5mm of of each end to make them work for smaller vehicles - the down side is that you end up with a very short hex engagement and your wheel may wobble - but thats only trimming down the plastic ends, not reducing the width between the steering knuckles. If you wanted to do that, you would have to come up with a new centre housing and shorten the metal shaft.

Now in theory you could come up with a 3D printed replacement center housing, but I've not had the time or need thus far to look into that. I suspect the big challenge would be controlling the tolerance on the printed parts such that you had a good gear mesh with the input gear, and frankly hobby grade 3D printers aren't that great - you'd probably end up putting extra material on to the parts and spend quite some time wet sanding that mating face to get the mesh just right.

The other challenge would be to get the nylon end pieces off the axle without breaking them so that you can shorten it. I guess if you only want a one off you could splash out on one of those metal upgrade sets that are held together with grub screws, but that would beome expensive quite quickly if you wanted to do a bunch of them...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

It is possible to create a non-powered front axle like this
I created this for a maultier panzerwerfer 42 for Herman, but it isn't driven. To create a driven one is possible but the design/print/test/etc would be complex and pretty time consuming.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Working on a narrower axle for rear at moment, then will do front, be patient it is not far away :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Will01Capri wrote:Working on a narrower axle for rear at moment, then will do front, be patient it is not far away :)
Hope you are going to share the CAD model ;) I have several smaller trucks in the pipeline that will need a narrower axle
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Tiger6 wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:Working on a narrower axle for rear at moment, then will do front, be patient it is not far away :)
Hope you are going to share the CAD model ;) I have several smaller trucks in the pipeline that will need a narrower axle
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragon245
Corporal

Post by Dragon245 »

thank s Alwyn Will have to go for non powered version

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”