Question about WPL vs JJRC

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Lert
Sergeant

Question about WPL vs JJRC

Post by Lert »

I've had a WPL 6x6 truck for a while now, decent fun even with all its drawbacks and cheapness. Now I've ordered a JJRC 6x6 one, based purely on the difference in the drive line that can be glimpsed in the product pictures.

Does anyone have a run down of the differences between them? I figure the drive line is completely different without interchangeable parts, but I'm not sure how far that goes.

- Which is easier to work on, if there's a difference?
- Is there a difference in the electronics they come with?
- Is there a difference in how sturdy they are / feel?
- Does one drive better than the other?
- Does anyone have pictures of a cab / bed stripped JJRC one that shows the drive line?
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Question about WPL vs JJRC

Post by jarndice »

The JJRC 6 Wheeler is very simple to strip down to a rolling chassis,
Just undo a few screws,
Don't miss the screws in the battery bay,
What you need to be aware of is that the screws used are not all the same so you must make a note of which screw goes where.
I have to say that I prefer the JJRC 6 Wheeler to the WPL/Heng Long 6 Wheeler,
Better quality feel and more detail.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

tnx, Jarndice. Sounds good.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, in my experience the JJRC drive train is vastly better than the WPL one. I recently bought a JJRC truck solely for the drive train and installed it in my Diamond T truck - see the build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=209&t=24883

The JJRC provides a proper differential rather than the solid fixed diff on WPL trucks.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Depends what you want to do with it.
I have minimum at least 1 of every truck out there.

The jjrc axles are cool as they are open diff, so make a good scale axle to use on builds as they behave nicely on road and off road pathways. However they cannot handle off road without playing with thick grease to.limit slip. Unfortunately however they are still weak and if you upgrade the motors the input shafts cannot take proper torque.

The wpl axles as stock are hopeless! However metal upgrades make these a great axle with plenty of torque handling. However they are solid axles and slide on off road as they push wide. For my builds I prefer wpl with metal upgrades.

In terms of body shapes the jjrc bodies for q60/61 have a great shape over the more modern looking Wpl B1/B16.

The WPL B36 is a great looking truck and I also.lile the rear suspension. Most of the others except the b16 have leaf springs on rear, but b16 and b36 have cool multilink setups.

The Mz 2020 is a great truck as rtr. Everything about it is good and it can take a hammering and looks good.

Btw. Watch out for the scale. They are all not quite right, but some closer to others.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Will01Capri wrote:Depends what you want to do with it.
Not quite sure yet. I'll see when inspiration strikes me.
Will01Capri wrote:The jjrc axles are cool as they are open diff, so make a good scale axle to use on builds as they behave nicely on road and off road pathways. However they cannot handle off road without playing with thick grease to.limit slip. Unfortunately however they are still weak and if you upgrade the motors the input shafts cannot take proper torque.
Probably just gonna keep it stock. Don't plan to do heavy crawling / mudding / off roading with it anyways, I'd get something more serious for that.
Will01Capri wrote:The WPL B36 is a great looking truck and I also.lile the rear suspension. Most of the others except the b16 have leaf springs on rear, but b16 and b36 have cool multilink setups.
I ordered this. It was on sale for like $30 on banggood.

Should go well with my WPL B16.
Will01Capri wrote:The Mz 2020 is a great truck as rtr. Everything about it is good and it can take a hammering and looks good.
Can't find much about that one? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, can you post a link?
Will01Capri wrote:Btw. Watch out for the scale. They are all not quite right, but some closer to others.
That's fine. I know these are just toys basically, I'm not expecting much.

What about the electronics though? Any difference between the brands?
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Lert wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:Depends what you want to do with it.
Not quite sure yet. I'll see when inspiration strikes me.
Will01Capri wrote:The jjrc axles are cool as they are open diff, so make a good scale axle to use on builds as they behave nicely on road and off road pathways. However they cannot handle off road without playing with thick grease to.limit slip. Unfortunately however they are still weak and if you upgrade the motors the input shafts cannot take proper torque.
Probably just gonna keep it stock. Don't plan to do heavy crawling / mudding / off roading with it anyways, I'd get something more serious for that.
Will01Capri wrote:The WPL B36 is a great looking truck and I also.lile the rear suspension. Most of the others except the b16 have leaf springs on rear, but b16 and b36 have cool multilink setups.
I ordered this. It was on sale for like $30 on banggood.

Should go well with my WPL B16.
Will01Capri wrote:The Mz 2020 is a great truck as rtr. Everything about it is good and it can take a hammering and looks good.
Can't find much about that one? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, can you post a link?
Will01Capri wrote:Btw. Watch out for the scale. They are all not quite right, but some closer to others.
That's fine. I know these are just toys basically, I'm not expecting much.

What about the electronics though? Any difference between the brands?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/MZ-2004-1-12-R ... 2027264617

MZ 2004 sorry, i wrote wrong number down!
If you want inspiration, there is plenty around. Have you seen the HL truck thread?
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Will01Capri wrote:If you want inspiration, there is plenty around. Have you seen the HL truck thread?
I have. Lots and lots of excellent stuff in there. Part of me is considering making wither the WPL or the JJRC into a Mad Max type thing.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Lert wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:If you want inspiration, there is plenty around. Have you seen the HL truck thread?
I have. Lots and lots of excellent stuff in there. Part of me is considering making wither the WPL or the JJRC into a Mad Max type thing.
Got me interested. Go for it. I made a M35 Rat Rod. It was good fun building
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Lert wrote:
Upon reading this I immediately thought, Will is gonna love this guy. @) @)

The Mad Max thing sounds cool, hope you post lots of photos. If you want to see how I'm doing mine I'm in the middle of a tanker truck and I'm trying to show all the key stuff. So far it's been just the steering servo set-up, but we'll get to the rest. I've been busy working on trying to get some cool, period-correct combat tires on it. And printing a one ton trailer to pull behind it. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”