Saladin scratch build

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Saladin scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

I seem to have a few spare truck bits lying around and I've been trying to think of something to use them on. Then last night I was having a sleepless night and came up with a few ideas for building a Saladin armoured car

I have a cunning plan to make the first 4 wheels correctly steerable (large turn on the front pair, smaller turn on the second pair. I am hoping to find a way to drive all six wheels but that could be an interesting design problem. Anyway the first priority is the Diamond T rebuild and then in any spare time I'll have a bash at the Saladin. If it works out I might even do a kit.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Saladin scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Here's the cunning plan for the steering
It's basically accomplished by having the two steerable axles facing one another with a pivot bar between them. It will just take a bit of experimentation to determine the pivot point.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Ingenious young man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

Yeach good idea - i use it in my project
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Here you go Alwyn
This is howni Did it...
Seems to work better when the link arms are diagonal to each other
It seems to balance out the force from the servo
Attachments
20190115_125742.jpg
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That really helps, thanks, and thanks everyone for the good words

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I hope you can figure this one out. I attempted four wheel steering and eight wheel drive on a MAZ537, and failed miserably. :|
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob, I think I have a few things going this time as the new parts for the wpl allow for very short prop shafts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-1-16-Mil ... 2749.l2649
and there is a transfer box that should just about squeeze in if I use a shoehorn.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Transf ... 2749.l2649

Last edited by AlwynTurner on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's tight, no two ways about it. Driveshafts and steering arms were the biggest issue for me, not helped by me installing a two speed gearbox. I also discovered that the cheap Hobbyking servo splitters are very hit and miss with actually working, and that it really needs an SBEC to power them all. Mounting/rewiring servo's to run in reverse were another little challenge. I had horrible interference and glitching. Seeing as I was faced with spending a small fortune on a £20 truck...I took the cowards way out and stuck it all on a dusty shelf. :D

If the Saladin works, it opens the doors to a Stalwart..., so watching this with interest. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The trick with the steering will be to thread the steering links around the propshaft using these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Car-Truck ... 2749.l2649
and threaded rod, and use mcevoyi technique to get the wheels to cooperate. I'll have to use a modified version as on the saladin the turn on the second pair of wheels is less than the lead pair.

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”