1944 WWII Soviet Dual Axle Transport Truck

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1944 WWII Soviet Dual Axle Transport Truck

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Many thanks to Gary as I have finally received some wheels and rims that make starting on this little build a reality. It is smack in the middle of my Stuart build which takes precedent of course. As parts come in, I will add to this gem of a truck. I already have better lights and some detail bits on the way. It might wind up as an oil tanker, we will see ;o) Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
The first steps in this neat little Stuart Intermission truck build.
The first steps in this neat little Stuart Intermission truck build.
Assembled this evening after an overnight cure for the painted parts.
Assembled this evening after an overnight cure for the painted parts.
The first of two coats of Rustoleum Camo Sage...A close match for WWII Soviet paint coloring.
The first of two coats of Rustoleum Camo Sage...A close match for WWII Soviet paint coloring.
Even tho the paint I used said primer not required...A little Tamiya goes a long way...
Even tho the paint I used said primer not required...A little Tamiya goes a long way...
Test fitting
Test fitting
Removing excess material the old fashioned way...
Removing excess material the old fashioned way...
Starting out...
Starting out...
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 1945 WWII Soviet Dual Axle Transport Truck

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Those wheels really set the tone mate. Going to be a cracker of a build ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Very nice start painless, as Herman said the wheels look great, Gary did an excellent job on them :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
The rim material is strong but not flexible in the least. I managed to snap two of the insert rings on the outside dual rims on the rear axles while assembling them. Gary had sent along some spares so no issue there. The rings had snapped along the lines where the material layers had lain while printing so it was a clean break. As a test I set about repairing the rims and discovered that even the Ultragel I normally use did not grip as well as it would have on a cast part. I turned to the Loc-Tite Epoxy and that did the trick. Just a note for future work with 3D printed pieces.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Use Plasticweld to stick PLA together 8) Also sticks PLA to styrene and similar materials...

I have started brushing the rims with a coat of glue before doing anything else with them so that they don't come apart as I wrestle the tyres on and off :problem:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Glad you like the tires, Painless.

I haven't had any problem with rims breaking putting tires on and off, knock on wood, but I like the idea of using a coat of glue so I'll have to try that. I'm also using the plastic weld and when I get home from work tonight I'll post a link here to the exact stuff that I'm using. It says it's for difficult to stick plastic. I just Clamp the pieces together and then go along the seam with a brush of glue and it flows right down in there and makes a perfect weld.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Thank you for the tip about the Plastic Weld product. Here is one in return: Microwave each tire separately for 6 seconds and mount it on the rim right then. They will pop onto the rim much easier and stress the material a lot less when they are warm and more flexible. The material that the tires are made of is flexible but needs a little help when they are being installed. Nothing wrong with a little molecular excitement just don't over do it. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Molecular excitement, hmmm, put me down for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very cool truck mr Painless
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Mr. Carl,
Just tinkering around to see what can be done. A slower rate of speed would be cool but I'm not sure what would be best attempted to achieve that? A torqued motor or a different gearbox? There are not a lot of parts out for the JJRC trucks vs the WPL Heng Long models. I do not want to go crazy on it either like ordering a Clark setup. Paint and detailing ( lighting, etc ) should be plenty. Too early to tell which direction it will go in. Crazy Town spending is reserved for the Tanks. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”