Katyusha

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Katyusha

Post by MichaelC »

Saw the rockets on Shapeways and asked the seller Alex to put up the design for everything for 1/16 so here is what I have so far....... Super expensive but would be the only one running around hopefully. Still waiting for rails and rockets, will be scratch building the rest with pieces from the original truck and styrene sheets.
DSCN2056.JPG
MichaelC.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Katyusha

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that's really impressive. Always wanted one of these. Mike how did you construct the ladder frame for the rockets?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Carl, all Shapeways stuff other than the truck and also the rear bed. It was super expensive and I was going to DIY the rails, but just can't find large enough I beams and not good enough to make my own.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Now to get a nice board to control it with the multiple rocket screaming sounds that are so iconic...
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

That is perfect. Very nice work.
I was looking and thought it would be a but too much work for me with other projects, but I so glad someone else has pit the time and expense in.
Keep up the good work.

Are you keeping round arches or making new arches for front cab?
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I did one a few years back before 3D printers were invented, I recall making the framework out of wooden kebab skewers and styrene rods, the rocket rails were cut out of long strips of styrene cut from a sheet glued to make girder style launch rails. I stuck flashing led's all over the rails to give that rocket launching effect.

Things would be so much easier nowadays.

There was a guy at the time who made one out of brass, and like he said, if there was a bolt head on the original, there was a bolt head on his model. Everything was fully functional. Doors, gear wheels etc etc, it was a work of art.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

wibblywobbly wrote:I did one a few years back before 3D printers were invented, I recall making the framework out of wooden kebab skewers and styrene rods, the rocket rails were cut out of long strips of styrene cut from a sheet glued to make girder style launch rails. I stuck flashing led's all over the rails to give that rocket launching effect.

There was a guy at the time who made one out of brass, and like he said, if there was a bolt head on the original, there was a bolt head on his model. Everything was fully functional. Doors, gear wheels etc etc, it was a work of art.
Nice, but now you are going to have to hunt out the Brass model pictures and your own. Be good to see :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Will01Capri wrote:That is perfect. Very nice work.
I was looking and thought it would be a but too much work for me with other projects, but I so glad someone else has pit the time and expense in.
Keep up the good work.

Are you keeping round arches or making new arches for front cab?
I am but I will probably add on fenders that flow thru to the back with a much larger fuel tanks. Also the spare tire rack is just what I have now, will probably replace it with a much smaller one. Also need to think about the folding front armour plate for the cab and windshield.

As to battling, maybe I can squeeze in a Tamiya One Shot kill so everything in front of it will died................
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

wibblywobbly wrote:I did one a few years back before 3D printers were invented, I recall making the framework out of wooden kebab skewers and styrene rods, the rocket rails were cut out of long strips of styrene cut from a sheet glued to make girder style launch rails. I stuck flashing led's all over the rails to give that rocket launching effect.

Here is the 3D printed rails and rockets from Shapeways.
DSCN2057.JPG
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow Michael I can see why that kit was so expensive. Very nice pieces. :clap:

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”