Chassis Paint colour

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Chassis Paint colour

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The questions are about the US Army 4 wheel truck. The answers are probably to be found buried somewhere in this forum but my searches have not found them. Firstly, what do people prime the metal chassis with? Is there a brushed primer available? Secondly, what colour would the chassis be painted as a finishing coat?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Re: Chassis Paint colour

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

I just use OD rustolium.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

For chassis you need to use a special metals primer or red oxide. But honestly it still doesn't stick well. Painting over with thick brush on enamel seams to work well however, but takes ages to dry.
If you were to rough up the chassis a bit, everything would stick much better.

Although honestly i am remaking chassis with aluminium with much better results, also easier to paint with special metal primer and paint.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
maltins
Recruit

Post by maltins »

Hi all, Will01Capri Can you tell me where you sourced the aluminium c channel ? I've been searching and searching so I can replace the steel c section on my truck Thanks Malc
Mishka
Recruit

Post by Mishka »

maltins wrote:Hi all, Will01Capri Can you tell me where you sourced the aluminium c channel ? I've been searching and searching so I can replace the steel c section on my truck Thanks Malc
Ebay, in the UK I found B&Q was good too BUT please be aware you will need to trim some of it to fit as it the long sticking up bits of the U profile will be alot bigger than the stock one, just remember you need an INSIDE width of 9mm or more, I am using 10x13x10 stuff from B&Q, 1.5mm Alu, gives internal width of 10mm so bit bigger than the stock one.

Due to the sticking up bits you will need to take big chunks out of it or file it down to about 3mm high to match the existing chassis due to bits "clipping" into the support brace, and such

https://www.diy.com/departments/alumini ... 294_BQ.prd
Slightly crazy Londoner, fondness for motorbikes (driving them), Tanks (admiring them) and Trucks (wanting to own them)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Would this be better?

Varnished Steel U profile (H)10mm (W)10mm (L)1m | DIY at B&Q
https://www.diy.com/departments/varnish ... 201_BQ.prd
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mishka
Recruit

Post by Mishka »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Would this be better?

Varnished Steel U profile (H)10mm (W)10mm (L)1m | DIY at B&Q
https://www.diy.com/departments/varnish ... 201_BQ.prd
Technically yes but it is then steel so a bit more difficult to work with, its also 1mm so leaves inside width of 8mm, just took measurement of the rear bumper and its showing as 8.2m so not impossible to work around with via a teeny bit of filing.
Slightly crazy Londoner, fondness for motorbikes (driving them), Tanks (admiring them) and Trucks (wanting to own them)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Richard, this should do you for primer. Wilco used to sell it, trouble now, some places are greedy like Amazon and Halfords.

Special Metals Primer – Protect your metal - Hammerite
https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/spe ... ls-primer/
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Japanese company "Mr Hobby" sells some quality Paints, weathering and fillers including a very good metal primer,
The Metal Primer is labelled "Mr Metal Primer-R"
On E-BAY it is selling at £7.06 Freepost for a 40Ml bottle,
A lot of money for very little product BUT over the last ten years I am just starting on my second bottle,
It really does work and you don't need much of it,
All my Photo-Etch and metal tools and hinges gets an application before painting an undercoat and then the top coat. No flaking or bubbling although before you start I recommend wiping over the metal with Acrylic Thinners to remove any grease.
I recommend anyone interested in fixing a Tank body that has been scratched or marked to have a look at the Mr Hobby Range of products, The Mr Surfacer fillers come in various grades and are great for covering up "mistakes".
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
maltins
Recruit

Post by maltins »

Thanks Mishka will pop down B&Q and see what they have Cheers

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”