HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, the only thing I'm talented at is pressing "start print" Image
Another hour gone..
It will start speeding up soon when it's just got the body to doImage
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That looks fantastic, Wayne. Will I need a particular glue for this plastic? I have all the usual, styrene cement, super glue in various viscosities, epoxies, etc, etc. Any particular primer you recommend?

I think I might use the fenders that are made for these tires, but I might squeeze them just a bit. Here's the fenders, and more on the wheels in a few when the video is uploaded.

phpBB [video]

Wayne, did you get a chance to read the PM? What do you think of the V-2 from Apogee? These little trucks don't really have a lot of towing power, but hopefully that will be better when the esc arrives and we jump to 7.4 volts. I hope the plastic drivetrain can cope. I think we need to build the trailers (meillerwagen) mostly from plastic just for weight. Then we need the fuel, both a truck for fuel and a trailer for liquid Oxygen. All the trailer tires are smaller so I think 1/18 tires will be an option for that, but I have't started searching yet. I think Rex built a meillerwagen so I'll check with him for tips.

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Still with us, Frank? I keep watching your video over and over. :think: You have no idea how much I'd like to drop round your place for a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon. 8) ;)

So what are the chances of getting that duck in the water? I'd really love to see more photos of that one. Did you totally scratch that, or kitbash it from something else? I don't want Fyn to get mad at ya for givin' away trade secrets, but any and all info on this build that you'd care to share will be an education so please do. Do you have a build log on this project? Link, Bitte? Por Favor? S'il vous plaît? @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Gary,
The glue of choice with PLA plastic is Super Glue/CA, you can also use Acetone (nail varnish remover) it actually melts both sides of the joint for a really solid bond.
I think you can use just about any paint you want, Cosplayers make armour for their costumes on 3D printers, if you look on YouTube there's loads of videos on painting 3D printed parts.
I looked at the Apogee V2 at first, the shape looks a little stumpy if you know what I mean. I found the V2 on Thingiverse & that was the point that I finally decided to buy a 3D printer. The model is made in 4 parts, 2 for the tail & 2 for the nose cone, the centre section is 100mm/4" diameter plastic soil pipe, so I can trim it to produce the exact scale length.
Also on the Apogee V2 the tail fins are made from lite-ply so they have no real shape to them. If you look on the pic below you'll see why I went the 3D print route.
In my book the tail fins are a really sexy shape Image
The drawback with 3D printed parts is the surface finish layering, it's quite easily dealt with by sanding thoroughly, filler if required & a good coat of primer.

Oh yes, lets have a look how your SS-100 is doing....

More updates to follow.
Cheers
Wayne

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And here's some more on the tires I'll be using. I also did a little searching and found some used hwy 61 wheels on evilbay, and I just might grab them for a future project. These would make very good trailer tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-SCALE-HIG ... 1438.l2649

And the video. Now I wait for parts, like the esc, so I'll go back to the Hetzer and see about getting some more details done. I painted the metal scissors and shovel and bent a couple tool clamps, so now it's time for all that, and the guards for all the periscopes. Don't want to put that stuff on too early, just to watch it get crushed when you flip the top over and don't get it set down exactly right. Don't ask how I know about that.

phpBB [video]

:wave:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

I love the look of the Highway 61 stuff, it's all very expensive over here in the U.K. I've been searching for an alternative source of 1/16 wheels & tyres, I eventually found a German company called Bruder. On one of my eBay trawls I found a modern lorry with two sets of dual wheels, if the listing is to be believed it has rubber tyres & suspension. I couldn't resist & got it for £15 mustn't grumble. I'll feed back on what it's like when it arrives.
Bruder 1:16 MERCEDES BENZ ACTROS TRUCK 4143 Yellow Tractor Unit Made in Germany https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2896449555
Cheers
Wayne

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Oh & another update on the SS-100Image
Cheers
Wayne

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That Bruder truck looks good and it looks like you got a good price. That's the kind of thing you have to watch for and I've bought a bunch of stuff just to tear it up for parts. Hell, I bought a $150 Losi crawler just so I could tear the guts out and put them in my kubelwagen (a project that's long overdue but is getting real close to the top of the list. Maybe after the 1/6 halftrack). The only thing you have to watch for with bruder is the "backless" tires, if you know what I mean. A lot of their trucks have those tires that have no back sidewall on them. The truck you ordered looks like it has whole tires, though, so they should work well. Paint those rims gray and you're all set.

Here's what I mean about the tires, but the ones on your truck look like rubber and should be OK. it's the plastic ones you have to watch out for.

phpBB [video]

I found some decent highway 61 tires for $24 USD but they're single tires, not dual wheels. Now that we have these HL trucks available I'll be watching a lot closer and I'm going to contact a couple of these ebay sellers that deal in die-cast. I know most of them have some very cool parts boxes from stuff that's been damaged in shipping and then returned, and they love to make lemonade from a lemon like that. If I can find some, Wayne, I'll try to get some for you, too. Right now I have just one hwy 61 tire left over, a front, unless I can find a good spare for the SS100 and then I have two. I do have another truck but I just can't part it out. It was a gift from a friend, can ya dig it? Anyway, if I see a good used truck for $60 or less I'll get it. It's not just the tires, you can also use the fenders, hood, etc, etc.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OH yeah, the V-2. I had one of the 1/16 Imex kits (sold it to Dean) and it's a very good kit, as is your 3D printed rocket, but I really want it to actually launch and fly and that's why I'm looking at the apogee. I know it's not exactly 100% accurate, but to see the SS-100 pull up towing a meillerwagen and then watch the V-2 elevate to an upright position and then launch would be a real achievement for me.

So can that printer make us a couple of fuel or water tanks that we can mount on these HL trucks? Might need a different cab, eh? I have an asiatam opel blitz that i thought about converting, but chris wants an arm and two legs for his kit, which is basically a few sheets of styrene.

I guess I'll have to invest in a 3D printer. At least i already know who to drive crazy with all my newbie questions!! You may have created a monster, Wayne. @) @) @)
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Gary with all your skill and creativity a 3-D printer would suit you just fine
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”