HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

HL Truck Mods

Post by Max-U52 »

I've gotten a start on the first of many trucks to come, and first up to bat is the Hanomag SS-100. I've mentioned it in other threads but I always felt like I was hijackin' so I'm starting a thread on any and all mods to Heng Long Military trucks. You can post any mods you're doing and any type of truck right here. It might be good to have one thread about nothing but these little trucks and what we turn them into.

First, the goal.

And here's my start. I figgered the best place to start would be tires. The SS-100 has dual rear wheels and a much more street-type tire. I'm looking at model car kits to see if I can find great fenders, and I'm hoping Wayne will post here about his SS-100 and how he got that body looking so good. I also need to compare and see if any Blitz parts will work, like maybe the radiator grill. Due to the nature of the truck itself I think it's a good idea to stay as light as I can and stay away from a lot of metal. I am, however, thinking about using Panzer III metal headlights. Would a wartime SS-100 have blackout lights like that? I think otherwise the shape is pretty good and I already have a set of those lights, I'd just have to mount them on the bumper. I even think the bumper that comes with the truck will work with a little modification.

phpBB [video]

I'm open to suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, and helpful ideas. Also open to pretty girls' phone numbers and the location of any and all buried treasure, preferably gold and diamonds.

Please feel free to show us anything you're doing with a Heng Long truck. As long as you're talking about a Heng Long truck it's not possible to hijack this thread, so have at it. @) :haha:

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice. This will be a most excellent thread for sure Gary
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

HL Truck Mods

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, great minds think alike!!!
I posted a thread on my Hanomag a couple of hours ago with my secret laid bare.
I used the size detail below to get to my scale..

If you divide the width by 16 you get exactly 155mm or 6.102 inches, that should give you a good idea for the necessary track width on your truck.
The fenders are as printed but I intend to remove them & make new once I have the body fitted to the frame correctly, they are the only thing that shows where the axles should be.
If you pm me your address I'll print another body off over the weekend & send it to you. There's a lot of work to do to get it to a workable std but it's a good starting point.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Interesting and different. Following for interest aswell.
Don't know what I gonna do with mines when it arrives
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Wayne, I totally missed your thread when I started this one. Now that I've seen how the printer works I understand better about those fenders. They should still work if you use a little bondo. Maybe spot putty would be better? Just sand them to the curve you want to smooth the angles. I'll take a look at my truck and see if the measurements add up, but axle width is hard to change. It's pretty much easier to narrow or widen the body. Your printed SS100 body looks excellent and I will definitely send my address. You'll have to let me contribute to the cost of plastic.

I hope you'll post photos of your build here, too. I'm hoping we can get multiple projects going in this thread, and anybody that's doing any mods is welcome to post here. I'm really looking forward to what we come up with. Along with the SS100 I really want to do an ambulance and some kind of tanker, either for fuel, or maybe water with a trailer, also a water buffalo. Lee is doing some cool trailer stuff in his 6x6 thread.

And wibblywobbly posted an excellent video with sound and servo steering and I plan to do my green one exactly like that, and add a canvas top to it. So that's at least four different trucks already, I'm glad the price is coming down. Here's one on ebay for $29.99 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPL-B-1-1-16-4 ... SwTQtZ7qpJ

I have two now, one more on the way (that was two, but a guy at work talked me into selling one of them to him for his grandson) but it looks like I need to order at least two more. If I don't get this money tree growing pretty soon I'm gonna be in trouble. :haha: :/ @) :crazy:
Last edited by Max-U52 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Oh yeah, I did the Temper electronics experiment. Mixed results. Steering servo, good, tires, good, electronics, not so good. I have to wait for the esc to get here, and i need to order a couple more of those if they work out.

phpBB [video]

And somewhere I need to come up with the dough for a few dozen tires and rims from tank modelbau.

:wave:
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Good idea for a thread Gary. I haven’t picked one of these up yet. But when I do I know where to look for ideas
Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

...used two trucks to make a 6x6 chassis to fit into my scratchbuilt DUKW...
phpBB [video]
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Awesome frankie :clap: :clap:

It was one of the builds I have had in mind for the future. There just remains the issue of waterproofing the works to make it fully functional and aquatic but it would bean interesting challenge.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Yep..this ones just a driver at the minute...she may swim/sink at some point...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”