HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by Will01Capri »

Another truck here i been working on for myself whilst i had some holiday last week. Slow burner as is anything for myself haha
Its based on MN90 RC 1/12 Land Rover model, however i took the body, made loads of changes and made my own Kahn inspired bodykit for it and wheels and then everything else is fully custom.
Put a new design dual 370 motor setup in this thing and hope to get it going sometime
Body only sitting on wheels for mock up, it will be slightly higher to give clearance. But gives you idea the look i want to go for
Not military, but cool. A little side project to the rest of things i been doing recently anyway
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Nice start Will. Are you going to use the WPL sound card for this?
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Estnische wrote:Nice start Will. Are you going to use the WPL sound card for this?
No, going to use a das mikro, however that is dependant if i can work out how to use with 3s lipo as this will be running 3s and i will have to make sure the voltage to the sound card is only 7.4v rather than 11.1v!
It will not be fast, but powerful for crawling and scaling
phpBB [video]

Finding and hiding a small 3s battery will be fun, but should suit it perfectly. The other option is i run it slower on 2s, but wheres the fun in that haha
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Morning
Quite an easy conversion for this original WPL B1 model
Although the chassis rails and part of the body are original, everything else is re designed and 3d printed or hand made

Too many little details to list, but the main ones to note, dual inline 370 gear reduction motors

Metal gear axles and servo and esc upgrade

The model is extended and is a crew cab conversion of an M35 truck, we designed and printed this ourselves

Front bumper is all metal 3mm plate bent to shape to add some weight up front and give it some good pushing ability

It will run upto 4s lipo, but the gear may take a hammering, so really only to take 2s or 3s on the extreme
I am so far undecided to mount a 5th wheel in the back, but i might just do that to fit a gooseneck trailer lol

Proper urban jacked up truck, perfect for going down the shops
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Nice idea with the bumper. They need a bit of weight over or in the wheels.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

I saw this
Will01Capri wrote:I have also started building a rather larger Bruder 8x8x4 truck conversion, ok its not so military, but it does feature a lot of cool stuff. This thing has some serious power and chassis.
Then found this

So what have you made the chassis from please ?

has the cab is the same as this
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Hello
Now that truck looks like this

Still has a way to go, it has got servo operated 5th wheel(still to test strength), gear reduction winch with steel braided cable, then long range haulage tank system, which helps hide stuff inside and is 8x8x4 meaning front axles steer on seperate servos. Also it has dual 370 motors coupled with awd transfer case.

Yes it started life exactly as a Bruder model, however the cab in the picture is same as what it used here https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/bruder-mb-a ... 031335733/

The chassis is completely custom and home made. It uses strong aluminium u channel. I then made very substantial braces which slot into the u channel and the whole chassis is pinned and bolted. It is extremely heavy now and very strong. I can't wait to get it running. The axles on these WPL metal housings can take alot of fettling as the tolerances they are built to is a bit loose, so getting a good gear mesh can be frustrating.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

This is kind of a cheat. I actually built the chassis for a possible 1/16 DUKW build. But idle hands and a couple hours I threw this together.

The through drive on the middle axle came from the unused front axle on the second truck. The short driveshaft between the rear axles turns in the opposite direction, but all wheels turn correctly. The aluminum driveshaft pieces are an airsoft barrel but I forget which tank it came from.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

A sneak peak at something new i designed

I designed this for not only WPL/JJRC trucks and crawlers, but it also can be used in smaller scale vehicles and comes with a set of adaptors which means it can plug into WPL type chassis

This is a really compact unit
40mm width (wpl chassis rails are 53mm)
It runs a geared 370 motor which can run 2s, 3s and if your mad it will take 4s on short bursts, but seriously your axles will break, i tried it lol

The system comes in a few different options. There is a low power version which runs a narrow belt, there is a normal level which runs a medium size belt and there is a version which can run a wide belt, maybe for heavy loads or towing.

The transfer case features a gear reduction after the planetary gearbox in the motor and if you use WPL/JJRC axles, there is a further gear reduction there aswell.
On a WPL type truck it loses approx 1km/h, but if you knock it up from 2s to 3s lipo, you more than make up for that loss in speed.

The motor is able to be adjusted so the tension can be set on the belt. The tension on the belt can be setup by use of a mobile phone app which is downloadable in the play store.

There is also another few versions, i have a dual motor system which uses 2 of these bolted up together and 2 belts. This can be configured for AWD or 4WD depending on user preference. Whats the difference i hear some ask??? Well the centre main shaft can be cut in half so that the front and rear motors run independently so act as an electronic diff. This would be suitable for slightly longer wheelbase builds

I am also working on a more compact dual motor belt drive which uses a single wide belt, but does not have the option to adjust belt tension. This would be more appropriate for crawlers or smaller dual motor unit vehicles

Some build, setup and extreme test videos to follow.

If i were to compare this to the stock WPL metal transfer case version it is smaller and will create higher torque, but is slightly slower.

Maintenance is easy, there are access holes to allow grub screws to be re-tightened without stripping down the whole unit
The belt tension can be reset by simply removing the top cover, so again it can be left in situ.
All pulleys and belts and bearing are easily available in the market so can be replaced.

I am also working on some other drive units to allow other more extreme applications using WPL type axles. I hope to have a direct drive WPL axle adaptor for people wishing to make high speed run vehicles without the need of having to use universal joints which explode at high rpm
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

A quick prototype made ready for testing
The torque compared to that of the single 370 and metal transfer case which is available online is immense!

We are going to mount in some WPL trucks we have in stock and do a video, then will forward to some others for more extreme testing
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”